Metrics for determining piching volume progression throughout high school?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's a pitch count for high school baseball, at least NFHS and legion play,
Why not softball? There's a percentage of coaches that over-pitch players, and high school coaches and travel coaches tend not to communicate about total annual pitching volume.

Absence of injury, in any sport, seems like a weak metric to use for gauging the efficacy of training volume and its progression.

I had that discussion with a few local high school coaches several years ago. They claimed the quality of the game would go down too much. Many schools are already struggling to field one average pitcher. Forcing them to use two? They could not imagine it. DD's school was this way. I remember one game in particular. She was unable to pitch due to a concussion. The team had one girl behind her that pitched in rec ball. We lost the game 15-0 and she only gave up 2 hits. Yep, all walks...

Last edited:

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Let's keep the focus on pitch counts and pitching progressions, please.
Good point Ken. There have been some pretty good info put out in the past couple of year about how much pitching is too much, and yes most pitchers at a young age are Pitching WAY to much for whatever reason. But her well being isn’t being taken in to account. Coaches have to win win win!!! And it is the pitcher who pays the price.

Dec 23, 2017
New York
It’s up to you to

It’s up to you to see that your DD doesn’t get used and abused. Of course anyone that is competitive is going to say I’m fine I want to pitch.

You have to protect athletes from themselves. No different than boxing. If your guy is getting pummeled and seemingly has nothing left throw in the towel. No need to take unnecessary punishment.

As a measure my DD throws 1 complete game or two partials on Sat/Sun TB tournaments.

For HS I believe she will win #1 starter spot. We have a 5’10” Jr who was injured early last season and didn’t play much. My DD is a 5’ 2” Freshman and throws harder than Jr with more pitches so we will see.

In HS the most I will let her throw is 3 games in a week but no back to backs. Ideally two games a week is what I would like to see with at least a day off in between.

Coaches need to be better prepared and know who they are playing. If your playing lesser teams don’t be afraid to use your #2, 3 starter.

Obviously scheduling has a lot to do with who you play and when. So don’t schedule too many tough teams the same week.

How many pitches does she have?

Apr 28, 2019
How many pitches does she have?

She has her main pitches that get called the most in games. Four seam FB, two seam FB, curve, & change-up.
She also knows how to throw drop curve, rise, three seam FB, & drop. I believe she experimented a little with screwball as well.
New pitching coach says she should have 3/4 really good pitches. I think you should also develop other pitches in the offseason.
Pitching is all about mechanics and confidence. I know every ten year old father says his daughter has at least 7 pitches she throws. In reality that’s not the case.
Very hard to master more than 3/4 pitches. IMO you always want to be improving and expanding your game.

Aug 21, 2008
She has her main pitches that get called the most in games. Four seam FB, two seam FB, curve, & change-up.

What is the difference between a 2 seam and 4 seam "Fastball"? Aside from the fact hitters can see the rotation INFINITELY better when a ball is thrown with 2 seams? I'm not sure I understand the practicality of having 2 different pitches that are the same.

Bill

Jan 8, 2019
My DD is 14U and not a pitcher, DS is in LL in majors (10-12), and pitches very rarely, LL is very strict on in-game pitch counts, and it has become a strategy game for savvy coaches who are paying attention.

What LL does NOT pay attention to are:
  • Mechanics
  • Practice time
  • Pitches that stress the arms of young kids (curve balls, etc. for under 13-14)
An article I read about 4-5 years ago (no idea of the source any more) referenced that instances of Tommy John surgeries have increased dramatically since the pitch counts have begun, mostly attributed to not just overuse, but more to specialization (and my personal feeling to add my bullets above).

My point is that while I believe pitch counts will be a good thing and a way of the future, I have my doubts on their effectivity. There is always a kid/parent/coach who wants to get just a little bit further than the others, so will purposefully violate the spirit of those rules to get there.

At a coaching clinic a year and a half ago, Ken Eriksen muttered matter-of-factly as he transitioned between topics and without additional comment or reference that pitch counts "are coming."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802