Megan 1-Tee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
EVERY Alabama hitter does it with 2 strikes.

They are on the tube vs ms state on foxmw this afternoon.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
At least half of the insights the commentators have to offer are complete horse****. How does this move introduce a forward press?

No question, the color commentators get a lot wrong ... note however that I didn't forward any of the technical input from the commentators, just the 'name' they gave the swing. They referred to it as a "power slap". I commonly hear it referred to as a "slash", among other things.

Please read the link above describing the "forward press" and view the video in that link. The 'forward press' action is built into this mechanic.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
And Ricketts is pretty darn fast ... so it isn't like the Alabama coach considered this 'extra motion' to displace key critical actions ... all one has to do is view the sequence and they will see that much of this action is up front ... yet the backswing has the benefit of a more resistive rear leg, and segmentation is in place. I've also seen an Alabama hitter resort to this when she was in a slump.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
And Ricketts is pretty darn fast ... so it isn't like the Alabama coach considered this 'extra motion' to displace key critical actions ... all one has to do is view the sequence and they will see that much of this action is up front ... yet the backswing has the benefit of a more resistive rear leg, and segmentation is in place. I've also seen an Alabama hitter resort to this when she was in a slump.

....Amanda Locke?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
17emgn.gif

I applied this to a couple of girls last night.

Started with the open position feet about 45 degrees, to the plate.
Coil back. the front foot stays open. I did not point the bat, but I think its ok, as I believe she might want to see her hands, and her bat, kind of get a feel, with sight.
I was teaching to keep the hands next to the helmet, on the negative move, and adjust to the ball as you turn.

I had the machine turned all the way up, to 70, and about 40 feet.

I have done this for myself, when I have to hit speed, or put the ball in play, for quite a few years, its a quick compact swing.
The sweet spot of the bat, comes in handy with this swing. if you know what I mean.

I think this swing should probably be used wisely.

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
Lot of great information guys - thank you as always! Will try to do a little T work this weekend and see how things evolve.
Suspect there will not be much changed in her swing but with this new information I might be able to get her to realize a little more power.

Sep 17, 2009
Yep not a power slap I've usually heard it called a slash. Like all things it can be done and taught in right or wrong fashion. Right way, as girl pictured is doing it, and you get a nice rear leg ride and coil and an exagerated stretch and fire PLUS a timing mechanism. Not just a contact swing if done properly seen many a slash home run. Done improperly it could be just a weak arm swing but if hitter was using a slash in that fashion it would be up to cach or instructor to fix it. Never use a technique or drill if you are not going to use it correctly right? BTW not exactly sure how or why that's a forward press though I do agree used well it can be a sequence enhancer. Try it yourself it can promote a nice feel done properly.