Maanger or coach warming pitcher up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Do you guys make sure they wear a mask under both and all leagues. More of asa/babe ruth. As an umpire under babe ruth i do umpire for asa in some towns (even though i am not patch town does not care) Hard enough to find umpires i think that the main reason. Also i think we got more towns under babe ruth than asa.

As an umpire i am reliable if anything happens to the coach or manager while warming pitcher up.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Not sure about Babe Ruth rules, but generally only non-adults warming up a pitcher are required to wear a mask and helmet. Of the sanctions I do work:

- ASA says that for youth games any player warming up a pitcher must wear a mask and helmet.

- High school/NFHS says that any non-adult warming up a pitcher must wear a mask and helmet.

- NSA says that for any player warming up a pitcher must wear a mask and helmet.

Unless Babe Ruth has a rule that specifically says an adult/coach/non-player must have a mask, then I don't see how you could be liable if they don't wear one. As an umpire, you might get in trouble if you fail to enforce rules that really do exist, but you shouldn't have to worry about not enforcing rules that don't exist!

Mar 8, 2012
Babe Ruth 1.18 states that anyone acting as a catcher for the pitcher at home plate or any other location shall wear a catcher's mask.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Then if that's what their rule says, that's what you enforce. But you don't enforce that same rule in other sanctioning body's games that don't have the same rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck