Using eyeblack versus sunglasses under catcher's mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I had a meeting with our coach. She was saying about how catchers should use eyeblack under the catcher's mask versus the practice of wearing sunglasses under your mask. I personally like wearing sunglasses under my mask and I think it's a little more practical especially since I wear contact lenses. What is you guys opinion on the matter and what would you rather your daughter do if she was faced with a similar situation? Would I be better off changing up to using eyeblack?

May 1, 2018
I understand for pulling off the helmet and such....but any wind and I'll want my catcher in glasses.

Oct 26, 2019
I’m so worried about my players catching and throwing the ball that I’ve never even thought about what eyewear the catcher is wearing. Who had the time to worry about that type of stuff. If the catcher is keeping the ball in front of her and throwing the occasional runner out who cares if she’s wearing eye black, sunglasses, or a Pirates eye patch!

Dec 15, 2019
My DD wears sunglasses if it’s sunny and it does nothing but help her. I don’t understand how they would interfere.

Jun 26, 2019
I never caught, but i do wear contacts or glasses depending on what i am doing and for playing ball I would strongly prefer contacts. Getting a little dirt in your eye is a much bigger deal with contacts, for that reason alone I would wear sunglasses, maybe even safety glasses if it’s cloudy just because I hate dealing with dirt in my eyes with contacts. Obviously you would need glasses that worked with your mask, as long as you can find that, i dont see a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2