Using eyeblack versus sunglasses under catcher's mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
If you're worried about your coach, wear both;) Seriously though, DD wears prescription safety glasses with transition lenses under her helmet. You might want to think about those as opposed to contacts for several reasons. 1) Don't have to worry about dirt in the eye. 2) More scratch resistant than ordinary glasses or sunglasses. 3) Will automatically tint/adjust according to available light. 4) Most importantly, gives you a legitimate reason to wear sunglasses under your helmet without giving your coach even an inkling that you're disregarding her opinion.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
had a meeting with our coach. She was saying about how catchers should use eyeblack under the catcher's mask versus the practice of wearing sunglasses under your mask.

I personally like wearing sunglasses under my mask and I think it's a little more practical especially since I wear contact lenses. What is you guys opinion on the matter and what would you rather your daughter do if she was faced with a similar situation? Would I be better off changing up to using eyeblack?
imo
This original post is ALSO about how certain people/coaches try to control/micromanage others in sports beyond what a coaching parameter necessitates to performance.

Jul 4, 2013
Sunglasses have never interfered with my daughter catching. To me, eyeblack is a poor substitute for sunglasses if the sun is in a bad place for a catcher (or any player). Eyeblack may reduce glare (and automatically make you into a fierce gamer type player), but it doesn't keep direct sun out of your eyes. And direct sunlight in your eyes is a problem. The right tools make every job easier (or possible).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I see too many players not wearing sunglasses who should. I guess the coach has everything else suit-cased to be worried about whether you're wearing them. I'd tell her that you appreciate the suggestion, and will stop wearing them if she specifically directs you to, but that you prefer to wear sunglasses.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
From an umpire's perspective, I have zero issues with wearing glasses under my mask, and I wear both the traditional mask and the hockey-style mask. I wear prescription lenses in a Rudy Project Rydon frame with the RX Dock. Depending on your prescription strength you can get away with a more wrap-around lens. Try SPORTRX for options and tints, the one for softball (copper/ruby) is fabulous.

Feb 24, 2021
I had a meeting with our coach. She was saying about how catchers should use eyeblack under the catcher's mask versus the practice of wearing sunglasses under your mask. I personally like wearing sunglasses under my mask and I think it's a little more practical especially since I wear contact lenses. What is you guys opinion on the matter and what would you rather your daughter do if she was faced with a similar situation? Would I be better off changing up to using eyeblack?

Go with the sunglasses.

May 6, 2015
DD wears both, albeit the eyeblack is really more warpaint (she is very upset that the eye"black" in her teams secondary color is backordered on Amazon). I sometimes think about issues if she ever for some reason decided to pull helmet off, but hers has good vision, and her instructor has told her on a popup, find the ball, and IF you are certainyou have time, shed your helmet. in FP, most of the popups for the catcher are not very high, and reaction time is more imporant that the extra vision.

And DD wears contacts (just started, definitley think it is improving her hitting), good idea on safety glasses for cloudy weather, think I will get her a pair of shooting glasses (or rather let he pick a pair out).

she should Wear what she is most comfortable in. EOS

Jun 26, 2019
DD wears both, albeit the eyeblack is really more warpaint (she is very upset that the eye"black" in her teams secondary color is backordered on Amazon). I sometimes think about issues if she ever for some reason decided to pull helmet off, but hers has good vision, and her instructor has told her on a popup, find the ball, and IF you are certainyou have time, shed your helmet. in FP, most of the popups for the catcher are not very high, and reaction time is more imporant that the extra vision.

And DD wears contacts (just started, definitley think it is improving her hitting), good idea on safety glasses for cloudy weather, think I will get her a pair of shooting glasses (or rather let he pick a pair out).

she should Wear what she is most comfortable in. EOS

One area I noticed glasses hindering me was while duck hunting. While scanning the horizon for ducks, I would find ducks when I was looking through the center of the lens of my glasses, and loos them when they got closer to the edge, there is some error in prescription and focus the farther from center you get. Iwould sure think this would have effect hitting unless you did a really good job following the ball with your head which i don’t think os very practical, scanning above for a ball as quickly as possible I would think contacts would be better for as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog