Lu - 1st year 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Frank-Robinson-Wristsx-Around.gif

Frank-Robinson-Wristsx-Along.gif

Posey-Around-Along.gif

During the 'around' the upper rear arm is lowered by two engines ... the torso engine adducts the upper lead arm, and supination of the rear forearm adds to the slotting/lowering of the upper rear arm. You don't force the upper rear arm to lower via the shoulder ... it's more a combination of the torso engine and rear forearm. Get this right and the feel of a double pendulum can be felt.

For many young developing hitters there isn't even a mentality to pivot the barrel. The 'around' is absent ... they rush to perform an 'along'.
Getting them to pivot the barrel requires the learning of new mechanics and the changing of a hitter's mentality.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What I'm seeing is the intent to pull back a much as possible in order to push it forward as hard as possible. I'm also seeing a DBSF (Drop the Barrel, Swing Flat) pattern, with her hands dropping the barrel behind her shoulder, and creating a flat (level to the ground) swing plane at the elevation of the ball. As is common for the DBSF pattern, there is bat drag. The all-back/all-forward and DBSF patterns aren't what we see in high-level swings.

My suggestion would be to get her sequence of movements sorted out, and develop the understanding of creating stretch/separation. Also, start understanding the ideas of a diagonal swing plane, and turning the barrel around a hand pivot point.

Here's some videos that might be helpful in getting going in a better direction...

Sequence and separation/stretch:

Diagonal swing plane:
Bat works in the plane of the shoulders. Angle of the plane tips more of less depending on pitching location.

Hand pivot point:

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What I'm seeing is the intent to pull back a much as possible in order to push it forward as hard as possible. I'm also seeing a DBSF (Drop the Barrel, Swing Flat) pattern, with her hands dropping the barrel behind her shoulder, and creating a flat (level to the ground) swing plane at the elevation of the ball. As is common for the DBSF pattern, there is bat drag. The all-back/all-forward and DBSF patterns aren't what we see in high-level swings.

My suggestion would be to get her sequence of movements sorted out, and develop the understanding of creating stretch/separation. Also, start understanding the ideas of a diagonal swing plane, and turning the barrel around a hand pivot point.

Here's some videos that might be helpful in getting going in a better direction...

Sequence and separation/stretch:

Diagonal swing plane:
Bat works in the plane of the shoulders. Angle of the plane tips more of less depending on pitching location.

Hand pivot point:

Could we compare what your seeing in a ‘real’ world sense to a train that has slack in it and is trying to accelerate before the train has taken out the slack in the connecting cables in between cars?

So the result is one car crashing into next going towards the destination too soon or too fast?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Could we compare what your seeing in a ‘real’ world sense to a train that has slack in it and is trying to accelerate before the train has taken out the slack in the connecting cables in between cars?

So the result is one car crashing into next going towards the destination too soon or too fast?

Umm...What?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Umm...What?

How about a speed boat with a water skier attached without a taught line?
How would that end if the skier could hold on through the initial acceleration of the boat with the slack still in the rope?

Would that be what is happening in the hitters sequence since drag and ‘dbsf’ and ABAF is present?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

I like this. Can you identify which points In the swing are these train connection points? And how one tightens them up? Thanks.

May 16, 2019
Brady,
Judging by the wiliness of all the posters helpful comments, it's quite obvious, several of us see huge potential in this young lady's swing. Lots of wonderful observations,. If I may suggest before we turn on each other, eat the elephant one bit at a time. Pick 1-3 things to work on. Don't be in a rush. I've stayed on a tee with some player several weeks and slowly transitioned to front toss.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How about a speed boat with a water skier attached without a taught line?
How would that end if the skier could hold on through the initial acceleration of the boat with the slack still in the rope?

Would that be what is happening in the hitters sequence since drag and ‘dbsf’ and ABAF is present?

I think I see your analogy now, but I don't see it as directly relateable to this hitter. I see some pushing, and some pulling in her swing, not just pulling/dragging. What I don't see is is the coil, stretch, and barrel path that we see in top-level hitters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying