Lu - 1st year 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Hey all, I finally got some video of some tee work today. DD last season did great making contact and adjusting to a large variety of pitchers. Her biggest issue was getting consistent solid contact, I think being late on some pitches due to timing and just overall swing mechanics probably played a big role.

She did get better as the season progressed finishing at state and nationals with a couple of HRs and a few doubles but has lots of room for improvement.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Hey all, I finally got some video of some tee work today. DD last season did great making contact and adjusting to a large variety of pitchers. Her biggest issue was getting consistent solid contact, I think being late on some pitches due to timing and just overall swing mechanics probably played a big role.

She did get better as the season progressed finishing at state and nationals with a couple of HRs and a few doubles but has lots of room for improvement.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Interesting swing.

A lot to like here. Keep the head in the middle or as close as possible to centered during her negative move. That should iron out the drag. It will help her length tension relationship in the posterior and anterior loads and free up the hands a bit. But her intentions with her core and hips are pretty good. That’s my first thoughts initially. Please post after you make changes. I would love to see her progression.

Jun 8, 2016
Does she have that exaggerated front press on her live ball swing? I'm all for everybody adopting their own style but that might be a bit too much style.. ;)

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Does she have that exaggerated front press on her live ball swing? I'm all for everybody adopting their own style but that might be a bit too much style.. ;)

Do you mean where she starts forward then moves back to load? If so, no, that is pretty exaggerated when she hits off the tee.

May 16, 2019
Lots of good things happening that probably breakdown with a live ball. W=W mentioned the head movement good place to start because she will have to be aware of and use her core differently. Once you get some understanding there, you'll have to choose how you want to move out from the load.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Lots of good things happening that probably breakdown with a live ball. W=W mentioned the head movement good place to start because she will have to be aware of and use her core differently. Once you get some understanding there, you'll have to choose how you want to move out from the load.

The best way imo to move out is by using the ‘middle’. Upfront actions need to help propel the mass forward. Otherwise affordance of the ground becomes the focus which creates an inconsistent timing mechanism. Meaning the slack never really gets taken out. So compensations turn into habits which lead to holes in the swing. Or said another way the hitter will be unbalanced with rarely having achieved a good hitting position all the time. Very inefficient.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Check grip. Correct the bat drag and level to the ball barrel path. DD with the sway back is against the rear leg not on top and around the rear leg/hip socket.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
FFS gifs:
Pivot-The-Throw2.gif

Pivot.gif

Bonds' #1 cue on swing initiation was for the top hand to come up ... giving him a more vertical-ish rear arm. This led into Bonds' #2 cue of being 'short to' the ball.

The feel can be that of the barrel being worked 'around' the rear forearm ... and then released/unfolded/delivered/launched/sent 'along' the rear forearm.
Cabrera-ST2013-Around-Along.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478