Lower Body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Yup.

When I take swings with a pvc pole (similar to the TV pole) I see a lot of deflection in the pole that doesn't show up with a real bat. But, it is a similar action with hands.

Once I figured out what Tom was talking about with keeping the scap pinched I felt more pull/pull pressure then rotation of the back wrist.

Keeping the back scap pinched (or trying to) keeps the hands in place. It is much different then just keeping the hands pinned to the rear shoulder and trying to muscle the bat around with the torso.

I think the pull/pull pressure works both ways. If I move my hands back as I pull/pull the barrel will cock. When I go to swing the pressures change. Maybe it is more like resistance of the top hand for some, but when I push my hands get away and my scap slides away from the spine too early.

From a teaching perspective I try and get them to feel the pull/pull with the objective to turn the barrel. If they think of it as getting the knob to turn - that's cool too. IMO, giving the girls a sense of hand pressure can help them become aware of what their hands are doing - dropping, casting, or staying tight

Ray.....Do you believe in some form of torque or pressure to turn the barrel?..........

R

RayR

Is it fair to compare me to a HS soph I have trained with 3 times this year? She wil get there - but we need to reprogram some things and we need to get her hitting the ball harder so she and her dad feel good about things.

The lower body must support the upper body/hands..........It's pretty obvious you know that......

These 2 lower body/upper body sequences are MILES apart........

20ate21.gif

20g1fg9.gif

Oct 12, 2009
The lower body must support the upper body/hands..........It's pretty obvious you know that......

These 2 lower body/upper body sequences are MILES apart........

20ate21.gif

It looks to me like most of her lower body stuff is cosmetic and really isn't accomplishing anything productive. That's why I and redzuk said she looks top down.

At the end of the day, she's still pulling with her back arm. That pulls her hips around until her back elbow stops moving at which point her hips stop.

This is the same thing my son was doing, but I don't think MTS has fixed it with the idea of turning the barrel.

R

RayR

Ahh - O'Leary....yeah you're right nothing productive here except for her hitting the ball better and putting a smile on her face...same with the Dad...probably will be much easier to make changes from here forward.

I would love to see one of your swings.

Oh and how about a comment on this - you never got back to me...still trying to figure things out? That's OK keep guessing - eventually the correct answers will come...

From the initial positions of the arms in Fig. 7 it might
appear that the left arm is pulling and the right arm is pushing
on the handle, because the handle is rotating counterclockwise.
However, the bat center of mass moves in the
opposite direction to the handle end during the initial part of
the swing, so the net transverse force on the handle must act
in the opposite direction to the direction of motion of the handle. Both arms therefore pull in opposite directions on the
handle, the right arm exerting a greater pull force than the
left arm.

Oct 12, 2009
Oh and how about a comment on this - you never got back to me...still trying to figure things out? That's OK keep guessing - eventually the correct answers will come...

He's talking about exerting a force to keep the bat head from whipping out too early, which serves to hold the hinge angle.

Not very complicated.

Oct 12, 2009
Ahh - O'Leary....yeah you're right nothing productive here except for her hitting the ball better and putting a smile on her face...same with the Dad...probably will be much easier to make changes from here forward.

It's still a very top-down swing and, like I said, I'd love to see what she does to adjust to hit a pitch at the knees.

She wouldn't be the first person who can hit the ball well in the cage.

R

RayR

Took you a week to come up with that? If you were so sure about your answer how come you didn't just say so sooner?

So, the forces of pulling along the length of the bat from both hands is keep the barrel from whipping out early? But, you were so adament that all you do is hold the hinge angle. Now, you agree that there are opposite forces on the bat?

I'm proud of you! Baby steps...I have time...

He's talking about exerting a force to keep the bat head from whipping out too early, which serves to hold the hinge angle.

Not very complicated.

R

RayR

Or the first person to hit a ball off a tee using a deltoid drill...

You didn't answer me about your hitting clip. You must of missed that part. Tell you what - we'll come back to that later...

It's still a very top-down swing and, like I said, I'd love to see what she does to adjust to hit a pitch at the knees.

She wouldn't be the first person who can hit the ball well in the cage.

Oct 12, 2009
You didn't answer me about your hitting clip. You must of missed that part. Tell you what - we'll come back to that later...

I'm in soccer shape but haven't started swinging this year.

I'll start up after Christmas.

Even then, my swing isn't the greatest, but that's irrelevant to teaching.

R

RayR

Looking forward to it. I am sure it will only take you a couple of deltoid swings and you'll be killing em...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish