Lower Body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Worked with a hitter today. HS soph. Has trouble driving the ball. Very knob to the ball swing - gets over the front leg - hits everything out front.

Worked on delivering the barrel - how to use hand pressure to turn the barrel.

Here is her lower body

2iuotw3.gif

Fair question to everyone: Would you be happy if your hitters had this lower body action? Would you consider this a good place to work from?

I will post the complete clip later.

Oct 12, 2009
Would you be happy if your hitters had this lower body action? Would you consider this a good place to work from?

While it's not terrible, she cuts her lower body short.

She looks like she lunges, so I wonder if the root cause is that this is a top-down swing.

R

RayR

So, does that mean you are OK with as a starting point? I never said it was a finished product.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
MTS ..... I recently picked up 5 new hitters .... ages 13-14. They are all spinners. Major 'bug squishers'. I'd be very pleased if this was their starting point.

R

RayR

FFS- Thanks. You know what I think they should work on first, don't you? I might not happen in one swing, but it will get them on the right path.

R

RayR

Man - just can't answer a question. Would you take this lower body over your son's?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS- Thanks. You know what I think they should work on first, don't you? I might not happen in one swing, but it will get them on the right path.

Seriously ... if this was the start of where some of my new kids were at, then I'd be very happy.

To answer your question of where you would start first ... I’m going to guess that it wouldn’t be having them bend over with their upper body so as to start on plane with the ball, while giving them an objective of turning their upper body as a unit as quickly as possible, all the while having a focus of attempting to maintain a hinge angle. Just a guess mind you.

Oct 25, 2009
The lower body mechanics look good but it appears the hips do not actually lead. If the hips lead the swing I'm good with the lower body, for the most part--not being able to judge stride, toe touch, i.e.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog