Liv's swing 11 yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
I was taught "hands to the ball" and heard it on this thread again. DD is learning to keep her hands higher and bringing the barrel to contact.

If I understand, the hands to the ball idea still gets the bat on plane, but with just a little less bat drag in the posters' swing. Is that correct?

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I was taught "hands to the ball" and heard it on this thread again. DD is learning to keep her hands higher and bringing the barrel to contact.

If I understand, the hands to the ball idea still gets the bat on plane, but with just a little less bat drag in the posters' swing. Is that correct?

I have never been a big hands to the ball guy but I understand the cue. I am more of the barrel to the ball guy. Take the barrel down to the ball as short as possible.

Jan 24, 2009
Would you explain in detail what "turn the barrel means, and bio-mechanically, how it is done?"

YES! I have been trying to figure this one out for a while. It sounds like a simple cue, but I have no idea what it means in terms of what to actually do. If a clip is supplied to illustrate, please explain as well. The important part is the explanation rather than just "see this player turns the barrel" because some of us don't get it. But I'm kinda dense :/

May 16, 2010
YES! I have been trying to figure this one out for a while. It sounds like a simple cue, but I have no idea what it means in terms of what to actually do. If a clip is supplied to illustrate, please explain as well. The important part is the explanation rather than just "see this player turns the barrel" because some of us don't get it. But I'm kinda dense :/

They started a separate thread on this, and moved it to the "practical" forum. The thread is titled "Turning the barrel."

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2012
New England
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DjbjF7z_lFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not having much luck removing bat drag from dd's swing yet, but we'll get it. Been trying to get bat a little more vertical at launch and throw barrel to the ball, but she is still laying it down and pulling it. Says she can't really feel she is doing it but can see it immediately when I show her the video. Been doing back tees, high tees, walkups and some side toss but it's a little cramped in the shop (four inches of snow the other night). Also doing some throwing and then replacing ball with bat.
Sorry for the video- it is at a bad angle again. The tee is about front hip at set up.
Thanks for the tips and knowledge and encouragement.
We will keep on the journey!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The video is set to private, if you don't know how....you have to go into your youtube page and go to "video manager" and change the video from private to one of two other settings...one is public, the other is something like "by invite". Just a guess but I think public makes it so if someone searched "bat drag" your video might pop up. The middle setting I believe make it so people can only watch it if they have the link, like you put above.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad