Let's not have coaches!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Yep , parents always see what those dumb old coaches don't. They know how to get Little Susie to perform. She just doesn't because the coach doesn't like her

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yep , parents always see what those dumb old coaches don't. They know how to get Little Susie to perform. She just doesn't because the coach doesn't like her

I guess I hang around with the wrong parents. Nearly every one of them I talk to can't get Little Susie to do ANYTHING they tell her to do, and often comment that me telling her the EXACT same thing has made a big difference. I use my co-coaches the same way with my own Little Susie. Within 1 practice, one of the coaches got my DD doing things that I had been trying to get her to do for 6 months, and the lesson has stuck.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We have had an abundance of coach bashing threads. To their defense, I've seen some coaches I'd NEVER let my DD play for, some coaches I might let her play for, and some I was honored she played for. Some of the posts might be legit, some might be too much sun and rose glasses. But like we've said many times, DFP is a lot cheaper than a therapist..........and in some cases a lawyer. :)

Jan 24, 2011
I guess I hang around with the wrong parents. Nearly every one of them I talk to can't get Little Susie to do ANYTHING they tell her to do, and often comment that me telling her the EXACT same thing has made a big difference. I use my co-coaches the same way with my own Little Susie. Within 1 practice, one of the coaches got my DD doing things that I had been trying to get her to do for 6 months, and the lesson has stuck.

Awesome , then coaches really do have some value. I knew parents were crazy , know it alls ;)

Jul 2, 2013
I really like coaches and have been blessed to have a half dozen make a significant contribution to DD's game.

Then there were another half dozen who tried too hard, and potentially could have messed her up.

The KEY as a parent is to figure out which is which. Usually the DD can figure it out herself.

Listen to the good coaches. "Pretend" to listen to the other half.

Young players are good at this as every parent knows.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Awesome , then coaches really do have some value. I knew parents were crazy , know it alls ;)

Some parents are good, some are bat-**** crazy. During a tournament game yesterday, the mother of the other team's catcher stood behind the backstop the whole game yelling at her DD. In talking with the other coach, apparently his whole team is filled with those kinds of parents, and they demand wins. I expect the coach is going to have a rough week explaining why they (a 1st seed) lost to us (a 4th seed) in an elimination game.

Jul 2, 2013
It depends on the age group. The younger the DD is, the crazier the parents can be. They have yet to "give" their DD's away to the coaches.

As both age in softball, the parents realize that many coaches DO know what they are doing.

More importantly, after a certain age the teenage DD's simply STOP listening to parents. But will listen to a coach.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
As many of you know, I resigned my baseball position to watch my dd play in HS and then became her HS coach. Saturday, I spent time watching my dd play 23U and another former coach came up to me. He asked me if I would get back in to coaching after BB graduates. I asked him the same. After all, he has 24 years of experience like me and is very well known in the area. He said that there is no way and much for the same reasons that I outlined here. If things go wrong, blame the coach. Coaches aren't expected to coach and so how does a coach coach? I can't think of one "expert" in our area that I think knows more about hitting than I do. However, parents are paying for lessons to some of the "experts" who I know know nothing. Some of these people are a joke and that is putting it mildly. Still, they are experts and I'm just a HS coach. I told this gentleman that I'm out. There is no way I would coach again.

I coach golf now, have never had a freshman who has played, have one or two girls make it to sectional play each year, win 18 matches and the parents love me because I am the only expert that they can afford for their girls. That is because I am free. I have 7 girl golfers playing in college now and that will do me just fine for the next 5 years.

If you were a tad closer, I'd love to coach with ya , perhaps a few times from the parking lot for various reasons. :)

May 16, 2014
As a baby softball parent and coach for my young daughters, I've got to admit finding this forum has been eye opening. I know parents are harsh, but I'm a little put off with the prospect of putting myself out there. With the depth of complaints, it appears parents forget that coaches are human, no one person knows it all, and above all, the coach is giving his or her time to try to make a team and the individuals successful. While coaches are not perfect, they are typically trying to do something good. Apparently there is no benefit of the doubt for coaches.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As a baby softball parent and coach for my young daughters, I've got to admit finding this forum has been eye opening. I know parents are harsh, but I'm a little put off with the prospect of putting myself out there. With the depth of complaints, it appears parents forget that coaches are human, no one person knows it all, and above all, the coach is giving his or her time to try to make a team and the individuals successful. While coaches are not perfect, they are typically trying to do something good. Apparently there is no benefit of the doubt for coaches.

Don't be put off by the plethora of horror stories. Despite the outward appearance most parents and coaches are fine and not every kid is in imminent danger of a traumatic brain injury from a shot from an ultra-hot composite bat because they do not wear a face mask. It is kind of like the evening news. Anything controversial is described and analyzed based on minimal information and if it bleeds it leads. Find the value in the more objective threads and take most of the subjective opining and prognostication with healthy dose of skepticism. Contribute your time and effort and make a difference and you will find it very rewarding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01