Let's not have coaches!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
There are good and bad in every walk of life. The reason I made this thread is that there have been so many mentions of coaches ruining kids who take private lessons. I should look up my letter I handed out every year to parents about their experts. In that letter, I made it clear that their private coach can teach whatever they want but when I see a kid who needs coaching, I'm going to coach them. I also made it clear which coach wrote out the lineup.

And I think it's hard for a lot of coaches to recognize/acknowledge anything good that a private coach has taught, thus a lot of coaches automatically step in and "coach" out the stuff (good or bad) the private coach has spent hour teaching the player. It's simply not an easy situation to deal with from any of the sides (parents, players, team coaches, private coaches).

Sep 17, 2009
To me, almost all the threads and posts about problems between coaches and parents, and coaches and coaches also, come from people not feeling they can talk to one another. A confident coach should be able to to handle conversations, especially hard ones, with kids, parents, other coaches, etc.,..and a great coach can not only do that but make sure those conversations result in the best outcome as possible for the most important people involved: the players.

I might sound holier than thou, so let me be clear. I'm NOT that coach I described...I tend to avoid conflict and hold grudges, lol. But I'm trying to get there with some other coaches I know being great role models for how to get there.

Oct 22, 2009
Love this thread.
My DD was out of pitching for a year due to a back injury. During her out time, her team folded so we were looking for a team when she was cleared again. Fortunately for us my DD was one of the better pitchers in the area, so she had her choice of which team she wanted. She was moving into 18U and by now I told her, --You pick the team--, I want it your choice.
She went to a few practices with some of the top teams and then heard of a team, where the;

COACHES DON'T COACH AND THE PLAYERS ARE INCREDIBLY HAPPY.

I called the head coach and discussed the matter with him and he told me he had basically the same girls for many years, in fact a core of 5 since 8u. He had taught them everything they needed to know, they knew how to play ball.

So my DD joined the team. And exactly as she hoped, very little coaching. Practices were run well, and at game time the coaches were pretty much non-existent. Since I was one of those arrive early type parents (years of coaching myself) many times my DD and I made the line-up and my DD turned it in to the blue before the coaches ever arrived. Sometimes the girls got together to make the line-up. The girls enjoyed coaching the bases and the catchers & pitchers called the pitches.

One time I was talking to a college scout as she was watching one of our games, she asked if I was the coach and I said no, so she asked where they were, and I told her she could probably find them in the smoking area. She said, "No coach is here?", Nope, I answered, then she said she was even more impressed with the team because the girls were doing so well without guidance.

And this was no shabby team, my DD's first year on the team, they won State then placed 5th in Nationals. 3/4 of the team went on to play college ball and one played for A&M and one Stanford.

My DD really enjoyed this team and all the stress she didn't have to experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01