Just quit HS team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I've seen Varsity team take catchers only to warm up pitchers. Thats right. They were called "warm up catchers". That was their only roll on the team.....

During Jakes Sophomore season at Chipola they had a player who just could not crack the starting order. Late in the season she was assigned bullpen catching duties. She never complained and embraced that role . She spent the rest of the season and her college career getting pitchers ready and keeping them loose both physically and mentally. During the Florida State and the National Championship tournaments she and a pitcher were in the bullpen for every inning of every game. She was told to have them ready at all times to come in immediately. She did her job and more than once it probably made the difference having a relief pitcher game ready. When it was all said and done Chipola won both the Florida State and National Championship in convincing style never losing a single game. During the ring ceremony months later she received the exact same ring as everyone else. She was a National Champion. Every coach, player, and fan knew about her individual contribution to that effort and the key role she played.

Mar 28, 2016
Good points Cannonball.

There were a LOT of things in the decision. We felt that the hazards to her arm were not worth the benefits of playing JV. That being said, when summer rolls around, she won't be as ready to pitch as she was last summer.

This is also something very emotional. DD 3 is considering her future in softball, and even if she wants to continue playing. Spending all summer in tournaments while friends are out traveling is kind of a drag. In fact, one of her options, until the past couple of days, was to stop playing TB after this summer, but continue playing HS ball for a couple more years, mostly for the social part of it.

Being her hobby, rather than her obsession, it has to be fun or else she will just stop playing. That is what happened to DD 1. Softball stopped being fun when she got to HS, so she quit, and has no regrets at all.

I was never good at sports. My least bad sport was basketball. I liked softball, but I was amazingly bad at it. I was amazed that 2 of my DDs were actually quite talented. I've enjoyed watching them do things I could never do, such as hit the ball with the bat and have it travel, or make a great fielding play, or steal bases, or, for DD 3, strike out the side. It's been an interesting journey for someone who didn't even know such a thing as a drop ball or rise ball even existed, or what a pitcher has to do to make a curve ball curve.

Oh, and over Christmas, my younger brother gave me the short version of his college lecture about why a curve ball curves, and why physicists who said otherwise were morons. It's all fluid mechanics.

My DD2 is similar and is also a pitcher. She is still young and I hope that softball will become a passion for her, but I am quite certain that if her friends were not on the team then she would lose interest.
I think 100% your daughter made the right decision. It will also make her appreciate the travel ball season more, and will probably keep her more interested. One boring season of JV could drive her away from softball.

BTW - I think that schools would be better served to have the girls trying out, actually state what they are trying out for. Maybe on the form you fill out have JV, JV or V, or only V. I think this would prevent some of the deals made between the Varsity coach and JV coach.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
While many scenarios can be similar each situation is unique. Bob, I always enjoy reading your posts, they are usually thorough, objective and well written. My DD's have experienced quite a few scenarios in their youth sports careers so far which in the short term were incredibly "bad" but when taken from the longer view can be chalked up as valuable life lessons. I'd rather that many of these lessons hadn't even come up and we didn't have to deal with some of the BS that goes along with them but...

Sep 29, 2014
My DD2 is similar and is also a pitcher. She is still young and I hope that softball will become a passion for her, but I am quite certain that if her friends were not on the team then she would lose interest.
I think 100% your daughter made the right decision. It will also make her appreciate the travel ball season more, and will probably keep her more interested. One boring season of JV could drive her away from softball.

BTW - I think that schools would be better served to have the girls trying out, actually state what they are trying out for. Maybe on the form you fill out have JV, JV or V, or only V. I think this would prevent some of the deals made between the Varsity coach and JV coach.

Ideally you are trying out for the School softball team and you are willing to play where ever coach needs you to play.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I found out something today that made me realize how incredibly stupid it has been for me to stress out over this stuff.

My younger brother is about 8 years younger than I am, so I didn't know his HS friends at all, except for those whom I met at his wedding. My brother was married in Boston, and Mass. has a law that ANYONE can perform a wedding (at least they did back then). His best friend from HS in Arkansas was living in San Fran in those days. So his BFF flew to Boston to be better than Best Man, he got to perform the ceremony! That made him and the happy couple even happier.

This friend of his moved back to Arkansas. A few days ago he died of a heart attack. So my little brother is in Arkansas for the funeral, and to spend time with mutual friends reminiscing.

That puts things in perspective so much. What the holy HECK is the point of me stressing out about something my DD 3 is handling for herself? I mean, DD 3 might do track, or she might chill for the spring, or whatever. Not worth raising my blood pressure. I don't want people reminiscing about me now. I want them to have stories for a long time about how crazy the old man is getting.

My condolences to the family and to your brother. I think we are all guilty of believing that whatever problems we are currently dealing with are of utmost importance. Sometimes it takes a situation like you are describing to understand that things can be much worse. Thank you for sharing.

Feb 17, 2014
I feel for you and DD3. Some times you see these coaches make some baffling decisions. I've seen it myself with the HS program that my DD is a part of. We didn't know what was going to happen based on years past, but some good fortune and DD is on Varsity as a freshman. She hit a HR in their only scrimmage so we'll see how this plays out.

Good luck to DD3!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet