Just quit HS team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
It is always hard to respond to these types of threads. Bob seems pretty even keeled and has a great reputation on this site so I give his evaluations of his dd's ability and other players more credit than I typically do. Still, here are some thoughts and Bob this isn't meant to be an attack on your dd. First, she made the right decision and should not try to play HS again. The reason I say this is that the HS team is not her "real team." For the teams I coach, believe me, that team is their real team while they play on it because I am very demanding and they put a lot of sweat, tears and sometimes blood into playing for that team.

We played last night and the #2 pitcher (maybe #3) pitched for me on the JV. Why? Because should #1 go down, we need to have a pitcher ready with game experience to take that role. So, this young lady is going to get a lot of innings in. She will pitch against some of the best teams around who's JVs are better than a lot of varsity teams. This young lady can also hit. She will run to the varsity game afterwards and hit if needed. Last night, she sprinted over to the varsity game and hit a double. Her parents could claim that she is better than 2 or 3 on the varsity. They won't. I know this because I have been the hitting coach for this young lady for 2 years and she/they see the bigger picture. I could make the argument that the other 2/3 pitcher should be upset because she is not going to get close to the number of innings that this young lady will in the circle.

I am getting too long with this response. I don't know about the state Bob lives in. We will play a minimum of 34 games. We will practice 3 hours a night 6 days a week when we are not playing games. This week, we will practice 7 days since we didn't fare well in our first game. Those TB girls your dd plays will will be getting all of that as well per what your state allows. Will she end up losing ground to those she competes against for playing time in the summer?

Oct 3, 2009
I refrain from usually posting as well but this just feels spot on. I mean not slightly spot on but completely. Maybe at the end of the day our job as parents is not to teach what feels good in the moment but fighting for something win or lose is what matters. Fighting and getting dirty, losing and winning with no helicoptering might be the best thing when they are 26 versus what feels great at 17.

Great post as usual CB,

Andy

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Then Thursday she confronted her coach, and lost. Right after her meeting with her coach, lunch with her boyfriend who broke up with her during lunch.
She wasn't dating the coach's son by chance was she..I kid ;)

I quit my HS basketball team my soph. year and I was the 6th man on the team. I wasn't enjoying myself anymore. Same happened my Soph. year in college for baseball.
In this case I was starting. I don't regret quitting basketball but I do sort of regret quitting baseball in college. In college, while I didn't really get along with my
coach, my not having fun was self-induced. I was putting too much pressure on myself to get 100's on every exam and to hit a HR in every AB. Sounds like your DD is
quitting for the right reasons, e.g. she wasn't going to enjoy yourself. Life is too short to not enjoy playing a (in the big picture)
meaningless game. That said, life is also too short to have a lot of regrets so before making a decision to quit one should make sure they
have thought it through first, worked out the possibilities in their head, and be completely at peace with the decision. When I quit basketball, I did that.
In baseball I just made a spur of the moment decision, while sick (I had mono, likely contracted because I was studying till 2 am and then going
to practice at 6 am). If I had to do it again, I would have talked to the coach (as your DD smartly did) and let him know what I was going through.
Unfortunately 20 year olds sometimes make rash decisions and I was guilty of that. I still have dreams about it, almost 25 years later.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2009
And great post for you, too, Andy.

Alas, my DD doesn't get to be coached by Cannonball or some of the other great coaches on this forum.

But, this has been a week when I have really seen my DD 3 mature quite a bit. I mean, the past few days have really made me see what kind of young woman she is becoming.

On Wednesday she took part in a student protest march. I had some VERY strong reservations about it, especially about some of the national organizers, but she convinced me that this was something important to her. In fact, both DD 2 and DD 3 took time off of school for that march, and made me see their point of view. (I am NOT here to discuss politics at all, and if some of you agree or disagree with that march, I respect your opinions. ) A few hours later she found out that she didn't make varsity. She was nasty to everyone at first, but she had the presence of mind to go off to the gym and burn out all her anger to calm down. Then Thursday she confronted her coach, and lost. Right after her meeting with her coach, lunch with her boyfriend who broke up with her during lunch. So, she got some friends together to come over and hang out with her, and now she is fine. No school today so two of the girls spent the night. DD 3 convinced DW and me to get her a plane ticket to fly alone to NYC to visit her maternal grandparents over spring break, since she really misses her Gong-gong and Pau-Pau. Her Pau-Pau is one of the sweetest women I have ever met, but doesn't speak much English, so DD 3 invented her own pidgen English to communicate with her grandmother. So DD 3 decided to make lemonade out of her lemons.

A few days like that, and I see my baby girl is really growing up. Agree with her or not, but the way she handled things makes me far, far prouder than her first K as a pitcher, or her first trip around the bases as a hitter.

As Andy said, learning to fight her own fight, win or lose, will matter much more for her than anything else.

Makes me glad I let DD 3 meet with the coach rather than me getting involved in it.

That is great stuff Bob. Thank you for sharing!

Andy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish