John Tschida hitting video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Thank you Cshilt. I wasn't certain from viewing the slides ... as it appeared that both knees might be considered to point in the direction mentioned ... yet John mentions "knee" and not "knees".

5dldee.jpg

Howard has spoken of "front foot eversion" ... something I haven't focused on ... and I was wondering if what John was speaking of here might be related.

I can't see the image in your post so I'm replying without that benefit. For Howard, eversion (keeping the weight inside the big toes) would be achieved during the "load" phase and "toe touch" part of Tschida's slides. Eversion is "lost" at heel plant.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I can't see the image in your post so I'm replying without that benefit. For Howard, eversion (keeping the weight inside the big toes) would be achieved during the "load" phase and "toe touch" part of Tschida's slides. Eversion is "lost" at heel plant.

To clarify ... is what you are describing as "front foot eversion" be like having the front foot parallel to the pitcher at toe-touch but opening up to a 45-degree angle by heel-plant?

May 13, 2008
To clarify ... is what you are describing as "front foot eversion" be like having the front foot parallel to the pitcher at toe-touch but opening up to a 45-degree angle by heel-plant?

Eversion only refers to keeping the weight on the inside of the feet. When done correctly you should be able to wiggle the "pinky" toe and the toenail of the big toe should turn white from the pressure. When my DD had her last session with the big guy she hit without wearing shoes or socks for almost an hour so we could make sure that she was doing it correctly.

Having said that, we don't want the stride foot opening up too early, so yes it is parallel to the pitcher at toe touch and the front leg externally rotates at heel-plant.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009

Chris

Note the elbow action, as just a little more and the hand and elbow would be stacked like in the matrix drill. It would be interesting to see the exact sequence like you can in RVP.

Eversion takes place at toe touch on a flex front knee to allow the weight to shift during the swing prior to heel plant.
http://www.eorthopod.com/images/Con..._subluxation/ankle_peroneal_sublux_anat03.jpg

As human beings when we walk the baby toe comes down first and finally the big toe last for stability. When hitting we want the weight shifting linear or at least that is what we teach in my opinion, to allow more time to judge spin and speed, then start our rotational phase.

This shows it at toe touch however do not forget, many people dig out the batters box to get everision on the back foot in an effort to pre load the weight more efficiently to the inside of the back leg. We use a tapered rubber plate when doing soft toss or tee work. If the batters box is real loose soil, they mound it up and rest their foot against it. Some will use an extra home plate and rest their foot on the black edge when training.

We teach the front knee is pointed at a slight angle towards where the second baseman (if a right handed hitter) would normally be playing and the foot would be at about 45 to 50 degrees.

The knee is a better indicator as to hip position as the foot can only be articulated so far. While sitting in a chair stretch out your leg and try to turn or articulate just your foot it and it will only move so far. Now use the knee cap as a position of direction and the leg/ knee will articulate in the hip and turn further than you can move just your foot. Many people say you are turning your foot open and this is like saying does a dog wags its tail or does the tail wag the dog?

How far is too much as pointing the toe towards the pitcher?

Stand belly button to belly button with the hitter and hold their shoulders/ prevent them from turning as if hitting. However do not do it fast just turn so they can feel the amount of resistance in the lead hip with the foot at about 45 to 50 degrees.

You will find it very difficult to hold them back.

Now repeat and have them turn the toe more towards the pitcher and they will not be able to turn and they will feel the resistance in the lead hip is gone!

For us it gives a thrust feeling prior to rotation as is used in martial arts when punching as we demo at the clinics.

Most flat footed hitters find more power when they stride on a flexed front knee verses rigid. For the girls this seems to get the legs more involved which is usually missing in my opinion.

Same thing happens when you see a girl throw like a girl and the coaches blame it on them being a girl verses being able to teach them how to throw or shift their weight.

John teaches martial arts at his university and we have talked about how we both use martial arts in our approaches to teaching hitting and throwing. He has his martial arts students keep their hands behind their back in an effort to focus more on their balance and become more aware of where their body is and how important it is for them to feel it from the ground up.

He has his hitters actually swing with their hands behind their back and has done it to teach throwing also. This really makes the students see how important balance is during throwing and hitting and I have to agree it challenges them and poor balance clearly shows up quickly!

John truly is a student of the game and in my opinion is a guru....his tea cup is empty when ever you talk to him!

What would be your thoughts Chris?

Tell Jes hello and Justine is coming down from WSU again.

Thanks Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
May 13, 2008
Chris

Note the elbow action as just a little more and the hand and elbow would be stacked like in the matrix drill.

Eversion takes place at toe touch on a flex front knee to allow the weight to shift during the swing prior to heel plant.

Most flat footed hitters find more power when they stride on a flexed front knee verses rigid.

Same thing happens when you see a girl throw like a girl and the coaches blame it on them being a girl verses being able to teach them how to throw or shift their weight.

What would be your thoughts Chris?

Tell Jes hello and Justine is coming down from WSU again.

Thanks Howard

Ah, yes, now that I'm home I can see the pics. I agree, Coach Tschida's stuff looks pretty good overall. Prior to toe touch (the first pic) I'd like to see her foot a little more parallel to the pitcher instead of being pointed down the first base line.

Oct 25, 2009
Come on now, hasn't anyone seen the Tschida hitting DVDs? I'm itching to order it but I want some feedback if possible. If the economy was a little better I'd order based solely on what I know about him.

Jan 15, 2009
I'll add my two cents. I haven't purchased the video, but have been fortunate enough to live close to St Thomas and my DD has attended his hitting clinics 2 years and catching clinic one year. His team led the NCAA in team batting average last year, that's without scholarship money and in a cold weather state where we can only play outside April-September. I found him to be very easy to understand and his teaching style to be infectious. His former assistants and players are spreading out into coaching jobs at a terrific pace, which shows me that not only is he a student of the game but has the knack to turn others into students of the game as well.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619