John Tschida hitting video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I read through the 24 page handout. I like a lot of what he teaches. He seems to have done a good job of combining info from a variety of sources. I say that because some of his terminology sounds very familar to me.

I like page 6. It's not new, but it's an important reminder of the key positions that hitters need to pass through.

The two bullet points on Page 8; Weight shift into back leg and Torso turn, makes me think he understands how to create a bind in the back hip to maintain balance duing the stride.

On page 10 he makes an important point about having an Equal Bend in Knees at heel plant. MLB hitters are really good at doing this and getting themselves into a balanced position as they launch their swings. Being balanced during swing launch is a big key to getting on plane of the pitch.

On page 12 he makes a favorite point of mine. Which is the Elbows Work Independently. I do not believe this move is well understood in FP yet. Certainly no one in my area is teaching it or is even remotely aware of it. IMO this is the key to getting the hands flat quickly and hitting in a BIG ZONE. I kind of like his description that says The Back Elbow Initiates Swing & Picks Up Front Elbow.

I would like to get a clarification on the bullet point on page 13 that says Front Hip is Axis for Rotation. If he means this literally in terms of the front hip acting as a hinged gate swinging on a post, it would not hold up under video analysis.

Overall, good stuff.

BLB

May 19, 2008
I also believe he said somewhere that it's important for the hips to still be sideways to pitcher (not yet initiated rotation) at heel plant which is not the case in elite hitters.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The short vodeo I saw was good. The handout shows he has spent a great deal of time on forums and uses RVP information, combined with some older stuff.

The handout is gleamed information from forums, RVP, etc., nothing really new. Not a bad short handout or points, nothing ground breaking by any means. Just repackaged information.

I would thnk by the short video that the video might be OK, if the price is right. I wouldn't expect to find anything new, or anything to far outside the the RVP information.

May 28, 2008
I think it is well done. He has some different drills that make sense. First part is him talking and showing and then he gets to drills will some of his players. I am amaze how hard he can throw a whiffel ball for a strike from a decent distance. Or maybe I am just a loser? Becasue I can't! LOL

Oct 25, 2009
The short vodeo I saw was good. The handout shows he has spent a great deal of time on forums and uses RVP information, combined with some older stuff.

The handout is gleamed information from forums, RVP, etc., nothing really new. Not a bad short handout or points, nothing ground breaking by any means. Just repackaged information.

I would thnk by the short video that the video might be OK, if the price is right. I wouldn't expect to find anything new, or anything to far outside the the RVP information.

I'm not really looking for anything new or different. I've spent hundreds of hours reading, surfing the web, watching video, clinics, coaching at various levels, etc. What I'm looking for is a video that puts it all together from a good instructor that I can replay and replay. I must be a slow learner; I find something I missed every time I re-open a book, or re-read some of the posts on this forum.

I was very impressed with Tschida when I talked with him in person about hitting. If his videos are as good as he is in person then that's what I'm looking for. I think I know enough by now to learn how to teach it better.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I haven't found anything that has really satisfied me completely. Usually it's bits and pieces and their own ideas which are usually flawed.

Jul 17, 2009
I got the dvd. It's got a lot of drills that I haven't seen. I'm a neophyte compared to the people here but I have watched a lot of hitting tapes and dvds. It gave me a lot of ideas that I intend to use. Heavy emphasis on going opposite field. I was also impressed with the wiffle throwing ability. All in all the best drill dvd that I've seen.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I got the dvd. It's got a lot of drills that I haven't seen. I'm a neophyte compared to the people here but I have watched a lot of hitting tapes and dvds. It gave me a lot of ideas that I intend to use. Heavy emphasis on going opposite field. I was also impressed with the wiffle throwing ability. All in all the best drill dvd that I've seen.

Does he use the swiss cheese type wiffle balls with the holes all over? Does he use baseball or softball size? Underhand or overhand? About how far away does he throw?

Thanks

Mar 10, 2009
"Does he use the swiss cheese type wiffle balls with the holes all over? Does he use baseball or softball size? Underhand or overhand? About how far away does he throw?"

In most of the drills he is using baseball sized and he pitches from a variety of distance. He's got a nice drill where he may use 3-4 coaches pitching with a trash can full of baseball sized wiffles, facing 12, 3, 6, and 9 on a clock and maybe 12-16 players in a large cirlce. Each coach/pitcher throws to 3-4 players from what looks to be about 20-30 feet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez