John Tschida hitting video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2009
Just wondering if anyone had reviewed the hitting video by John Tschida of St. Thomas or if anyone knows about Coach Tschida's methods of coaching hitting? The name of the hitting video is Mega Softball Drills: Hitting.

Oct 25, 2009
I'd love to hear any feedback also. I'm going to order the DVD, either way. 265 minutes of John Tschida on hitting has got to be worth the money!

I watched his team a few years back when the D3 championship was at Walnut Creek in Raleigh, NC. I've never seen a team where all the batters had almost identical hitting styles. They were an awesome team.

I had the good fortune to talk with him about a half hour at one of the picnic tables. He was VERY impressive! Everything I've read about him since then makes me realize I was in the company of one of the great coaches.

Google him: John Tschida, Univ. of St. Thomas.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
My daughter pitched against his national championship team and has coached against him. His teams are among the most fundamentally strong hitters I have ever seen. I would love to spend a season with him just to learn how he does it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Make sure to let us know how it is. I have two hitting dvds from other ncaa coaches. I bought them with the hopes to learn their hitting theories, techniques and such. Both are about an hour and a half of watching their batting practices, which is fun to watch, but not what I was hoping for. Both coaches hitting theories "the girl's hitting styles have got them this far, I don't mess with it much."

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you Peppers.

In your opinion, is the front femur externally rotating towards the pitcher independent of the rear hip drive/thrust?

In other words, is the action of front femur externally rotating in the front hip socket controlled by the rear hip thrusting action ... or is it performed independent of the rear hip thrusting action?

May 13, 2008
When John speaks of the knee pointing at the ball ... is he referring to the 'front' or 'rear' knee?

Having reviewed the slides (possibly the same as you), I'd surmise he is talking about the rear leg. This would be similar to Howard's (Hitter) instruction on "rotate as needed".

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Having reviewed the slides (possibly the same as you), I'd surmise he is talking about the rear leg. This would be similar to Howard's (Hitter) instruction on "rotate as needed".

Thank you Cshilt. I wasn't certain from viewing the slides ... as it appeared that both knees might be considered to point in the direction mentioned ... yet John mentions "knee" and not "knees".

2jahx5y.jpg

Howard has spoken of "front foot eversion" ... something I haven't focused on ... and I was wondering if what John was speaking of here might be related.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
OOPS the rear foot is correct, I was in too big a hurry and missed typed.

Fiveframeswing my daughter went to a camp in Chattanooga, TN years ago and my memory is clouded from so long ago, but this is the example given was the rope tied to the rear knee. I never used this myself to kids, but I remembered it was taught at the camp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619