I've often wondered if College Coaches care about team jumpers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
What does team hopping tell you about a player's character?
Just to be clear I don't think it is the sole determinating factor in evaluating character but it can give you a glimpse into how the player (and often more importantly family) react to adversity. Did they leave multiple teams over playing time decisions? Did they honor their commitment or did they leave mid season? Did they leave amicably or on bad terms with their teammates and coaches? These are just some of the questions regarding team hopping that can provide insight into a player's character but there are plenty of others I would consider before committing my scarce scholarship dollars to a player.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Generally, parents make too much about character as far as softball recruiting. It is almost impossible to be "good" at softball without being a decent person. The sport requires a lot of discipline and a lot of practice. Being a jerk just doesn't work in softball.

The main question for a coach is whether a kid is "poison". A college coach will call the teams the kid left and get the skinny on the kid, and then make a decision. They all know each other, or their assistants know each other. It is a small world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves