Note to College Freshman Parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
I drove home from a tournament and cried the entire way home but I never let her see me.
Tournament, though? Clearly not a reference to a conference or NCAA tournament, because those are at the end of the year. Do D3 schools play "tournaments"? Having trouble getting past this. Lol

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Dec 6, 2019
Not sure how my name got attached to the quote.

D3 schools do play "tournaments" at the beginning of the year. More or less round robins. Example: NFCA Lead off classic in GA.
https://nfca.org/pages/nfca-diii-leadoff-classic-tournament-central
Your name just because you posted it. I understand they're not your words.

I will admit to being "triggered" when they call those events "tournaments." In my mind, if there is no matchup decided by record in the event, then it's not a tournament. But OK.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Your name just because you posted it. I understand they're not your words.

I will admit to being "triggered" when they call those events "tournaments." In my mind, if there is no matchup decided by record in the event, then it's not a tournament. But OK.
No brackets, but there are declared winners based on record. Note: this is an invite only event with the top D3 teams from around the country.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD will be heading off this fall to college to pitch. She is already doing most of the things OP lists.

What is the difference between a P5 program and a D3 in terms of demands on the player, if any?

Does the offer have any correlation with expected playing time?

My DD has been a PO since 16u, and in TB play the best in the country, so I hope that helps the transition.

Not sure what to expect for her, she’s always succeeded in the classroom and on the field but I’m wondering if this is a different animal altogether.

Great thread, good read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD will be heading off this fall to college to pitch. She is already doing most of the things OP lists.

What is the difference between a P5 program and a D3 in terms of demands on the player, if any?

My DD has been a PO since 16u, and in TB play the best in the country, so I hope that helps the transition.

Not sure what to expect for her, she’s always succeeded in the classroom and on the field but I’m wondering if this is a different animal altogether.

Great thread, good read.

Lots of differences but will vary program to program. Time management is key and lack of free time. P5--Softball is your job.

There was a girl that was several year ahead of DD in the same program that played for mid major D1 in Texas. She said TB practices were a cake walk compared to TB practices. In fact, she said it was joke.

Nov 18, 2013

Great thread, good read.

I think there’s more similarities than differences between D3 and P5 in terms of demands on the player. The key differences are P5’s do a LOT of traveling. Especially schools in cold weather states. The D1 season is longer and they’re allowed more practice days making time management critical. It’s critical at other levels too of course, but factoring in travel and the longer season makes it even more critical. In general competition for playing time is greater at P5’s. A pitcher is likely fighting for innings with 4-5 other pitchers. All of whom were all-everything during HS and travel.

The offer has no correlation with playing time.

Her competition, and opponents played TB against the best teams that n the country too. Not to scare you, but just assume she won’t be ready for it and be there with lots of hugs and encouragement. Her work ethic on the field and in the classroom will be the difference maker. As rough as it’ll get at times things will get better.

Best of luck to your DD.

Sep 3, 2015
Her competition, and opponents played TB against the best teams that n the country too. Not to scare you, but just assume she won’t be ready for it and be there with lots of hugs and encouragement. Her work ethic on the field and in the classroom will be the difference maker. As rough as it’ll get at times things will get better.

Thank you for this perspective.

DD will be in the Big10 next year, looking forward to her meeting the challenge and getting a great education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Jun 19, 2013
My daughter will be a junior this year and I think the hardest thing for her her first two years was just the time demands. Early morning weights, full day of classes, trips to the trainer, team workouts that would often go long so that they would miss dinner on campus which meant you needed to go cook now and clean up or go out to eat, then homework and to bed late, repeat. Then often Saturdays off season there would be field clean up, extra practice, team bonding, running camps for youngsters, team fundraising and that pesky homework again . . . it's one thing to hear about the heavy schedule it's another thing to be 6 weeks into it and have papers due, maybe a cold, a strained muscle, etc. and be grinding. It's no wonder that smart employers want to hire college athletes.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
I played D2 many many years ago. Really believe I made the team because I went to pitchers and catchers, when you have 4 pitchers and 2-3 catchers its helpful to have an extra player that is willing to catch. Every year I received a little more playing time, but I enjoyed working with the pitchers, and discussing how to go at each batter. Even though I didn't play much the 1st couple of years, I felt like like I contributed every time our pitchers had success, The trips to Florida, Virginia all over the east coast, the memories and friendships made were worth any additional playing time lost. I find at times I have a disconnect with some parents and players today with playing time issues. Most do not make a living at sports, but paying it forward is rewarding. I used my degree to its fullest. My parent did drive 2+ hours to watch games that I may or may not play in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802