I've often wondered if College Coaches care about team jumpers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Saw this posted on Twitter.
I understand the need at times to leave...but now it's confirmed that college coaches see it too. If I was a college coach I would imagine a kid staying with a program for several years (while getting better) is more attractive than a team hopper, especially since adversity increases as the player gets to college and the portal is an option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-085509_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-085509_Twitter.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 128
Jan 22, 2018
As many college players that enter the transfer portal every year I imagine the coaches know this is the “new norm”. Maybe they see that they don’t have a commitment to any team but I see they have a commitment to play. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
I don't know of any coaches (at any level) that care how many travel teams a player has played for.

Talent wins. Coaches want the most talented players. It's just that simple.
I thought the same
I guess the tweet above may be the first coach ever to care?

Apr 20, 2015
I don't think college coaches really care about anything other than talent. The talk a good game about minding your ps and qs on social media, parents attitudes matter, loyalty etc but every single one would make an offer to a player if she is just that good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Never heard a college coach ask how many.
However have noticed what teams they play on currently can grab attention.

What would be the use of asking about how many teams when the answers could all be manufactured gossip and junk?

Does everyone put every job they've had on a resume? Or only the good ones or longer term jobs?

May 23, 2015
You are a commodity as a collegiate athlete. No one cares about what you did. Its only about what you're doing today. Even future potential barely comes into play

To me jumping teams shows poor decision making abilities

Jun 30, 2020
I would hope a college coach would understand how crazy travel ball can be with trying to find the right fit for a team. People move, teams dissolve, teams change organizations, travel coaches turn out to be buttheads, players want an opportunity for more exposure and aren’t getting it on their current team. The potential reasons are innumerable.

It can be a topic of discussion but don’t pre-judge a kid based on it.

Apr 26, 2015
DD has only played for 2 coaches but for 5 different organizations because coaches keep moving to bigger orgs "to get better exposure". Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802