If you want to play college softball, there is a place for you.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The school(s) they really want to get into, no matter what
The major(s) they really want to be in, no matter what
Really want to play softball, no matter what

The priority order that these 3 statements are in will determine a lot of it.

I have no doubt that if playing softball is #1, 99% could play somewhere. The reverse is true too. Someone could be a pretty decent player, but if it's always been their goal to go to school at big P5 university, their softball days are likely over.
I probably wouldn't put it quite this way, but yes this is mostly true.

I could form a very good D1 team with girls I know who attend Florida State but don't play softball there.;

Same with Florida, UCF and USF,

Apr 27, 2020
There are a bunch of mediocre to BAD college programs at all levels that would and do struggle vs a decent 16/18u travel team that are looking for players like some High school programs.
Even decent to good programs struggle to keep players so, if one is focused on finding a school there is one out there.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
They underestimated the rigors of the institution. DD graduated HS Magna Cum Laude-Top 5%. Earned a Finance Degree with barely 3.0 GPA. She said the professors made the exams unnecessarily difficult.
Bragging and then bitching in the span of 3 sentences…bravo. Professors love failing kids..it’s makes our life so much easier..

Let me let you in on a little secret. If I gave the same exams today that I did when I first started in 2006 half my class wouldn’t pass and I am a lot better instructor now then I was then. Many kids don’t know how to study anymore. Maybe your DD’s professors didn’t decide to give in like I have because I got sick of fighting with my Dean..(as in he started yelling at me in a meeting..that was fun)

Every class has a certain level of competency whereby a student deserves an A,B,etc No offense but I am not sure why you would believe that a 21 year old kid (regardless of whether it is your DD or not) would know more about that than a professor..Let me guess, the exams were not like the HW..that’s the usual complaint. Tests are to determine whether you understand the concepts and can think..not to show that you can regurgitate HW solutions..

Rant over..carry on.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Let me let you in on a little secret. If I gave the same exams today that I did when I first started in 2006 half my class wouldn’t pass and I am a lot better instructor now then I was then. Many kids don’t know how to study anymore.
I have always said that a 90 average today isn't what it was when I was in school. You actually had to work to get good grades.

That being said, I watched Yeshiva play my daughter's college this spring. If those girls can play collegiate softball, anyone can.

May 29, 2015
From the "minors" sending players up ... high school is largely incapable of preparing students for realistic college expectations.

During my two runs through grad school, 60% of my counterparts should not have been in grad school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles