If you want to play college softball, there is a place for you.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have always said that a 90 average today isn't what it was when I was in school. You actually had to work to get good grades.

That being said, I watched Yeshiva play my daughter's college this spring. If those girls can play collegiate softball, anyone can.
Grade inflation is real!!! You get an A. You get an A, everyone gets an A! Last year there were 45 Valedictorians at a neighboring school. 1 B and you plumet out of the top 20%. These counselors are pushing all the kids into the AP classes when the should be in the regular classes. DD2-we know her limits and we pushed back and said no to 2 of the AP classes. Why put on the added pressure? She wants to be an elementary school teacher.

At DD1, college they used a grade scale-A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- Those A- grades didn't help her GPA.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Bragging and then bitching in the span of 3 sentences…bravo. Professors love failing kids..it’s makes our life so much easier..

Let me let you in on a little secret. If I gave the same exams today that I did when I first started in 2006 half my class wouldn’t pass and I am a lot better instructor now then I was then. Many kids don’t know how to study anymore. Maybe your DD’s professors didn’t decide to give in like I have because I got sick of fighting with my Dean..(as in he started yelling at me in a meeting..that was fun)

Every class has a certain level of competency whereby a student deserves an A,B,etc No offense but I am not sure why you would believe that a 21 year old kid (regardless of whether it is your DD or not) would know more about that than a professor..Let me guess, the exams were not like the HW..that’s the usual complaint. Tests are to determine whether you understand the concepts and can think..not to show that you can regurgitate HW solutions..

Rant over..carry on.
DD is a natural complainer.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
...and then you have some school's downplaying or eliminating the "Dean's List" because it makes some students feel inferior.

May 27, 2013
Grade inflation is real!!! You get an A. You get an A, everyone gets an A! Last year there were 45 Valedictorians at a neighboring school. 1 B and you plumet out of the top 20%. These counselors are pushing all the kids into the AP classes when the should be in the regular classes. DD2-we know her limits and we pushed back and said no to 2 of the AP classes. Why put on the added pressure? She wants to be an elementary school teacher.

At DD1, college they used a grade scale-A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- Those A- grades didn't help her GPA.

I also have to question the schools that have GPA’s on a 5+ scale due to how much weight they give to honors and AP classes. I’m sorry, but the “C” in AP Calc still does not look good to colleges even though it still might carry a 4.0 weight.

My kids’ HS only added 0.25 to the GPA for honors and AP classes. Highest GPA you could graduate with was below a 4.25. There was no class rank, so no valedictorian based on overall GPA. Their HS was tough - if they saw you couldn’t handle an honors or AP class you were bumped down to the regular class equivalent pretty quickly. Freshman year they had a semester long course that taught kids who were new to the school how to study. That class paid dividends for my kids who came from an another school. DD feels that her HS prepared her very well for her college classes.

Oct 4, 2018
...and then you have some school's downplaying or eliminating the "Dean's List" because it makes some students feel inferior.

A few of us booster club board members wanted to simply mention the Highschool softball girls who had high GPAs. Just give them a quick shout out at the banquet for doing it on the field and in the classroom.

We were told no, it would be mean to the others.

WTF

Jun 8, 2016
A few of us booster club board members wanted to simply mention the Highschool softball girls who had high GPAs. Just give them a quick shout out for doing it on the field and in the classroom.

WTF
look in the proverbial mirror..All of this stuff is driven by the “customers” (eg parents)…

May 27, 2013
A few of us booster club board members wanted to simply mention the Highschool softball girls who had high GPAs. Just give them a quick shout out for doing it on the field and in the classroom.

WTF

Our HS last year did not allow the seniors to wear their college shirts for their senior group pic for college acceptance day (which is traditionally done) because parents complained that some didn’t get into their 1st choice school and it would hurt their feelings.

We changed that back this year so the kids could wear their shirts for the pic.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
A few of us booster club board members wanted to simply mention the Highschool softball girls who had high GPAs. Just give them a quick shout out at the banquet for doing it on the field and in the classroom.

WTF
Our Booster club gave $500 scholly to the student/athlete who had the highest class rank in each sport at our All Sports Spring Banquet. Also we give $1000 to the student/athlete who had the overall highest class rank for all sports.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles