I've often wondered if College Coaches care about team jumpers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Not saying there are not situations where moving isn't unwarranted.

Also my response had to parts "more invested" and "helicopter parenting"...This:
"For example, when you spend thousands, take a week off work, and travel cross country for a tournament " is part of the more invested part.

I guess the question is if the kid isn't upset about being sat for two pickups, and hence is the one who drives the decision, then is it worth it for the parent to spend all that money on TB to begin with.

I think at the younger ages, it's perfectly appropriate for parents to guide and drive the decision. After all, they're the ones who literally do the driving! But at 16U and up, it should be up to the girls. I know that my DD looks to us for advice/guidance, but it's her life at this point. Our only concern is with her being happy and satisfied. Now, she handles the talks with coaches and asking the hard questions, as she should. But, you know, when you're talking thousands of dollars and you see your child miserable because she wants to play, it is very difficult to stay out of it. But you do because you know she needs to steer the ship. Just you wait!

Jun 8, 2016
you see your child miserable because she wants to play, it is very difficult to stay out of it.
You are agreeing with me, this is a perfectly good reason to move imo in particular if the player has done everything in her power to improve her situation on the team.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Something else that is different than when RAD played. You now have more choices. If you aren't happy about your situation, you can leave and join another team. There are many more teams, and parents are willing to drive hours out of their area. Heck, they even fly! TB back in the day was REAL travel because there were not enough teams to play against each other locally.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Plus it was way more hardcore since horse and buggy is a lot less comfortable than flying... :LOL:
Hahaha i liked my horse... 🏇

While i'm not a parent,
Do recognize parents have a learning curve both in raising children and figuring out travel ball stuff.
Many times parents later recognize how much they themselves have grown...
Not all seem to 💁

Dec 6, 2016
Players? How about coaches!

My daughter will have the 3rd head coach since she committed...and she hasn't even started college yet!!

Nov 5, 2014
I think it would be naive of parents to think that college coaches are not using all available information to evaluate a prospective student athlete. Is team hopping the #1 criteria, of course not but it is one small piece of the puzzle in evaluating character. Not all team changes are created equal but in this era of transfer portal abundance it can give a coach some insight into the types of decisions the family has made in the past.

Yes you have to be able to play, otherwise they won't even get to the step of evaluating your character but you can be damn sure they want to know what kind of person they are investing their scholarship money in. It is a scarce resource and they need to use it wisely to keep their jobs. Does talent ever Trump character? Absolutely, when there is a big separation between 2 prospects but when the difference is small you will look to secondary traits like academics, character, leadership etc..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
evaluating character.
separation between 2 prospects but when the difference is small you will look to secondary traits like academics, character, leadership etc..
ADD and facebook /social media

Feb 15, 2017
I don't think college coaches really care about anything other than talent. The talk a good game about minding your ps and qs on social media, parents attitudes matter, loyalty etc but every single one would make an offer to a player if she is just that good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I know that Bama (Murph) has turned down very talented players based on the way a player has behaved towards parents, teammates, and coaches. And in this PC day and age any social media mistakes can get you removed from the recruiting list very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
I spend a great deal of my time hiring at many levels, entry to mid level leaders and I do ask a ton about career journey. Most people can walk you through moves they make and in most cases they make sense. But someone with 4 jobs in 4 years is a red flag.
See what happend was....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00