I've often wondered if College Coaches care about team jumpers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Played on original Bat Busters team through travel ball..
Didnt change teams.
(Womans div. Played on 3 teams in 7 years.)

Travel
There were other teams.
However you were really a trader to leave.
Team worked through issues.
Pretty much all of us played
together 5' ish years.
....really got to know each other and grow up together.
Then of course the road trips.
4 to 6 players would share one hotel room.
Not all parents would go.
Had a a few chaperone parents but we stayed in our hotel rooms without parents.
YES it was FUN !
Cost was probably a lot less back then and parents were a lot less involved more than likely. 3/4 of team jumping nowadays is probably due to unhappy parents vs unhappy players...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Cost was probably a lot less back then and parents were a lot less involved more than likely. 3/4 of team jumping nowadays is probably due to unhappy parents vs unhappy players...
Certainly a possibility to team jumping nowadays.
Think cost is relative to smart decisions.
We traveled all the time to play.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Not following this.
Just brainstorming here...
If all parents keep taking time off work to go travel for s.b. they earn less money.
By each paying for individual hotel rooms it costs more money.
Not carpooling costs more money.
Teams purchasing 3 full new sets of uniforms each season costs more money.
Buying a new bat unnecessarily costs more money.
( which not everyone used to have our own bats)
Quick list.

Yes capitalism costs more now, but pay is slightly higher.
Yet credit cards are more prevalent!

Jun 8, 2016
Just brainstorming here...
If all parents keep taking time off work to go travel for s.b. they earn less money.
By each paying for individual hotel rooms it costs more money.
Not carpooling costs more money.
Teams purchasing 3 full new sets of uniforms each season costs more money.
Buying a new bat unnecessarily costs more money.
( which not everyone used to have our own bats)
Quick list.

Yes capitalism costs more now, but pay is slighly higher.
Yet credit cards are more prevalent!
Ok I gotcha. Right, prudent decisions by parents can certainly keep costs down.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
3/4 of team jumping nowadays is probably due to unhappy parents vs unhappy players...
LOL maybe we stumbled onto something big....
All parents didnt used to travel with team different dynamic?!
Happier players?!
+
Less parent drama?!
(and they didnt spend as much creating financial burdon/stress)
=
Easier on the coach to continue running the teams?!

Jun 8, 2016
LOL maybe we stumbled onto something big....
All parents didnt used to travel with team different dynamic?!
Happier players?!
+
Less parent drama?!
(and they didnt spend as much creating financial burdon/stress)
=
Easier on the coach to continue running the teams?!
Like I said (most) parents are lot more invested nowadays. Combine that with the "helicopter parenting" which is prevalent in all aspects of life today and you get decisions that are made based upon the parent's feelings vs the kid's.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018
jumping teams for play time, better coaching or being a more competitive team is very different from coaches kicking someone off a team. my DD has played on teams where players were asked to not return usually for good reason.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Like I said (most) parents are lot more invested nowadays. Combine that with the "helicopter parenting" which is prevalent in all aspects of life today and you get decisions that are made based upon the parent's feelings vs the kid's.

I don't know, man. I think your DD is still pretty young. After years of this, parents do become pickier and change expectations. For example, when you spend thousands, take a week off work, and travel cross country for a tournament and your HC has picked up 3 or 4 extra players so that there are now 18 girls there, you tend to be unhappy. Paying that kind of coin to watch your rostered, full fee-paid kid sit the bench while a pickup plays tends to irritate just a bit. I know that the prevailing wisdom on this Forum is generally to blame helicopter parents, but you also have to concede that coaches who shop around and fail to develop the players that they CHOSE are a major issue now too. As the coach of the afore-mentioned team above said when asked about all the pick up players, "I'm on the verge of being one of the Elite 8 16U teams." Notice use of the word "I." That is a direct quote; it was all about ego. Not about the girls.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't know, man. I think your DD is still pretty young. After years of this, parents do become pickier and change expectations. For example, when you spend thousands, take a week off work, and travel cross country for a tournament and your HC has picked up 3 or 4 extra players so that there are now 18 girls there, you tend to be unhappy. Paying that kind of coin to watch your rostered, full fee-paid kid sit the bench while a pickup plays tends to irritate just a bit. I know that the prevailing wisdom on this Forum is generally to blame helicopter parents, but you also have to concede that coaches who shop around and fail to develop the players that they CHOSE are a major issue now too. As the coach of the afore-mentioned team above said when asked about all the pick up players, "I'm on the verge of being one of the Elite 8 16U teams." Notice use of the word "I." That is a direct quote; it was all about ego. Not about the girls.
Not saying there are not situations where moving isn't unwarranted and yes my DD is young so I don't have a complete view of things yet, I freely admit that.

Also my response had to parts "more invested" and "helicopter parenting"...This:
"For example, when you spend thousands, take a week off work, and travel cross country for a tournament " is part of the more invested part.

I guess the question is at 14U and above if the kid isn't upset about being sat for two pickups, and hence is the one who drives the decision, then is it worth it for the parent to spend all that money on TB to begin with. In my mind there are two reasons for traveling all over the country to play the best competition. Either A) you want to go to a school which is outside of your region and hence need to travel some for the coaches to see you or B) the kid just wants to play against the best competition she can.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad