Is there consensus on pitching mechanics/instruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
DD wants to get back into pitching at 11. I'm nervous because I don't know squat. We've checked out a couple instructors and they are completely different, and I don't know how to evaluate. Guess I need to start reading the pithing sub-forum more.

Is there a decent amount of agreement on DFP? How about in the softball "world" in general?

Follow through, what should we be aiming for? How much bend in the arm?

I thought everyone dragged the back foot, figure 4 finish, but one instructor was a good D1 fresh out of college who uses and teaches sort of a bring the back foot around.

Are there instruction points that if you heard them you would pass on an instructor ASAP?

Any one know good references in SF south bay? There are a couple well-known pitchers around here at the age, Mountain View and Los Gatos both have very good looking pitchers, I wonder if I could find out who they go to (if anyone)

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
See the "Model Pitchers" thread. It has a wealth of knowledge from different viewpoints and you can come to your own conclusion.

Jun 18, 2010
Mr T, I would suggest the following for starters:

1. Reading BoardMember's (BM) IR posts in the pitching thread.
2. Searching for Hillhouse on youtube and watching some of his videos.

The above will get you started in the right direction.

I do believe there is "a decent amount of agreement on DFP" regarding pitching. IMO, the BM IR philosophy is the correct way to pitch, however there is not a common set of terminology used in the "in the general softball world". You most likely will not hear coaches use the terms "Hello Elbow" and "Internal Rotation", but educate yourself so that you can recognize them when being instructed.

Aug 20, 2013
When you say they are completely different what do you mean? Before my DD started taking lessons in the summer I would have thought our current instructor and Bill Hillhouse(who we just worked with over the weekend) were completely different. But now having done it and read here, I realize they are pretty much the same style with different terminology and approaches.

I have found(only in my experience) that the most generic terms to differentiate is wrist snap vs. arm whip. Many of the terms you hear on here, you won't hear elsewhere, so try not to get caught up in them too much. Our instructor says "stay open", which is exactly what Bill means when he says "don't turn the shoulder."

Maybe you could ask the instructors for a vid of one of their teaching sessions or of a kid they are currently teaching(with parents permission of course), put the vids on hear and see what they think.

Or email them a vid. of what YOU want taught and see who says that is what they teach. Best of luck!

GG

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
Mr T

Read, read and reread boardmembers posts and the I/R threads. View the best female pitchers posted here. Rick and Sarah Pauly demonstrate visuals that are easy to understand and represent how the elite female pitchers throw.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Don't be deterred. Stand and catch her warm ups. Pitch back to her. She is warming up at a slow speed. Let a natural weight shift develop, without using the feet, yet.

One thing that I often find, is that a student (no matter the age) does not know what a 4 seam grip is. Check that and get her used to using it. Don't expect miracles, but pitching doesn't have to be difficult or a chore. Practice is the key.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet