Pitch calling strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
Pretty much this.

First and foremost you have to throw the change for a strike constantly. So ignore the "U" until you can do this.

Once they have command they should always throw the change for a strike (on the "U" somewhere). If you leave it fat over the plate they will bang it.
Thanks! Already talking to her about all of this. Will see how it goes! Appreciate the input!

Aug 21, 2008
Personally, I'm not in favor of throwing the change for a strike, period. If you throw it for a strike and they don't swing, consider yourself lucky. I want the change up shoe to ankle high, with bouncing it on the plate ok too. Here's why...

When do you call a change up? 0-2 is not an ideal count. Many hitters are taught to choke up and shorten their swing, so a change is going to be less effective against a shorter swing that is only looking for minimal contact. But, I digress. When do you call a change? Correct answer is when you KNOW and you truly BELIEVE the hitter is going to swing. So, if I know the hitter is going to swing, throwing a strike is silly. Moreover, the lower you keep the ball, the hitter has to make 2 separate movements in order to hit the ball. First they are fooled by the speed so they are way out front, and the lower you keep it the more the hitter will have to drop down for contact. 2 movements, 2 awkward movements doesn't usually amount to a great hit. And if anyone on here, or anywhere else says, "if I throw a change up for a ball, they won't swing at it" has never been in at the plate and looked ridiculous when a change up is thrown at them. I have. I'm sure RAD has. A change up makes the average pitcher good and the good pitcher great. When I've been at the plate geared up for a rise or a drop coming my way and Mike White (or insert name) throws his backbreaking change up, you feel like an a$$ swinging at it. And the crowd goes "ooooh" and "ahhhh". From a pitcher's perspective, there's nothing more satisfying than a change up swing and miss. NOTHING. Not even blitzing a riseball past someone. Making them look silly is fun. Being on the opposite end is not so fun. Throw your change at the shoes or lower. Then, even if you miss high with it... hopefully "high" is at the knees and it's still lower than belt high. The higher the change, the easier it is for the hitter to keep their hands back and punch it over the 2nd base for a hit.
Also, as a general rule, I stayed away from change ups on Slappers until I had 2 strikes. A good slapper will recognize and bunt the change up. They're less likely to do that with 2 strikes. Now I'm sure someone will come on and tell me they throw slappers change ups all the time for success. Congrats. I'm speaking in general terms against the very very very good slappers.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Personally, I'm not in favor of throwing the change for a strike, period. If you throw it for a strike and they don't swing, consider yourself lucky. I want the change up shoe to ankle high, with bouncing it on the plate ok too. Here's why...

When do you call a change up? 0-2 is not an ideal count. Many hitters are taught to choke up and shorten their swing, so a change is going to be less effective against a shorter swing that is only looking for minimal contact. But, I digress. When do you call a change? Correct answer is when you KNOW and you truly BELIEVE the hitter is going to swing. So, if I know the hitter is going to swing, throwing a strike is silly. Moreover, the lower you keep the ball, the hitter has to make 2 separate movements in order to hit the ball. First they are fooled by the speed so they are way out front, and the lower you keep it the more the hitter will have to drop down for contact. 2 movements, 2 awkward movements doesn't usually amount to a great hit. And if anyone on here, or anywhere else says, "if I throw a change up for a ball, they won't swing at it" has never been in at the plate and looked ridiculous when a change up is thrown at them. I have. I'm sure RAD has. A change up makes the average pitcher good and the good pitcher great. When I've been at the plate geared up for a rise or a drop coming my way and Mike White (or insert name) throws his backbreaking change up, you feel like an a$$ swinging at it. And the crowd goes "ooooh" and "ahhhh". From a pitcher's perspective, there's nothing more satisfying than a change up swing and miss. NOTHING. Not even blitzing a riseball past someone. Making them look silly is fun. Being on the opposite end is not so fun. Throw your change at the shoes or lower. Then, even if you miss high with it... hopefully "high" is at the knees and it's still lower than belt high. The higher the change, the easier it is for the hitter to keep their hands back and punch it over the 2nd base for a hit.
Also, as a general rule, I stayed away from change ups on Slappers until I had 2 strikes. A good slapper will recognize and bunt the change up. They're less likely to do that with 2 strikes. Now I'm sure someone will come on and tell me they throw slappers change ups all the time for success. Congrats. I'm speaking in general terms against the very very very good slappers.
Good read...again😉

This gets recognized more so when people/pitchers start playing against developed hitters who can see it and control timing.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think that prior to pitching at a high level in college where you have video, spray charts, etc. that a Magic 8 Ball method is as effective as any other. For the most part it is about not making bad decisions rather than execution of an effective pitching strategy. IME even in what would be considered good TB, pitch calling is an exercise rooted in fantasy and wishful thinking. :)

May 14, 2010
Hello DFPers!

My daughter is 15yo pitcher. She took a year off back in 2019 and came back successfully for the 2020 high school season. She got the majority of the starts and was 2nd team all conference as a freshman. She has since joined a very competitive travel team and has done great so far this fall season, both in travel and in High School fall ball.

The H.S. coach last year was very inexperienced with the game in general, and the difficulty my daughter had was with pitch calling, especially in pitchers counts (0-2, 1-2) where she gave up hits more often than she should. This year she has a new H.S. coach and it is obvious that there is a similar issue in those same situations. This coach is an improvement with game knowledge as she played in college, but I don't think there is a clear plan when it comes to calling pitches. I've talked to my daughter about making the batters chase on those counts, but for a couple of reasons it seems like she's not comfortable pitching outside of what is called. We have very inexperienced catchers and she thinks she should throw what the coach calls - and there are no calls on the wristband that are waste pitches/chase pitches. She usually has the same catcher catching for her, who will likely be the starter when Spring season comes around, so I was wondering if they should come up with a plan for those situations.

My question is this, what is a good plan? How does it get communicated properly?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! If more info is needed please let me know.

Thanks!
Generally, if you want to play college softball ball, pitching location and speed are of prime importance. They could care less if you have a curve ball.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I think this can be resolved very easily. Just have your daughter ask the coach that is calling pitches to add a couple pitches to the wristband that are 4-6 of the plate for 0-2 counts.

Oct 4, 2018
In 10U, the two strike change-up got plenty of strikeouts. In 12U, it seems to end up in hits.

Just observation from one team.

Jun 20, 2016
I learned a looong time ago to not be predictable with pitches and it came by way of smashed line drives, opposite field dingers and worst yet balls hit right back at me!!!

I take that hard earned knowledge and when I'm calling pitches for my girls I call them based on how I would throw that particular batter. Much like Mr. Hillhouse I dont believe in throwing a change-up for a strike however, I do believe in throwing it right up the middle and sometimes back to back to back. On a 0-2 count I teach my girls to not have 2 strike phobia (inside pitches) and to not be predictable so no change ups (unless batter looks anxious) and nothing outside unless its a ball or two off the plate. For the most part on a 0-2 count we are throwing riseball inside, fastball high inside, screwball high inside or if she has a solid low-rise then we throw that inside...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles