Pitch calling strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
Are you recommending "The Science of Pitch Sequencing" edition of that series?
Didn't know there was more than one book, son tore his shoulder up at 12 from pitching, so I am very against any kid pitching(also seen too many kids get hit in face/head). What I read on Husband's sight is Lombardi started with the first book and over time became the most knowledgeable fastpitch coach going today.

Sep 15, 2015
I’m also asking if there would be a simple strategy that the pitchers and catchers could use when they are in game

My daughter was a junior last year and called her own games with a freshman catcher. She told the catcher to split the plate into 1/2, 1/3, or an 1/8. If behind in the count, set up on the outer or inner half; if the count was even, use the the outer or inner third; and if ahead in the count, use the outer or inner eighth. Daughter would then adjust further from there depending on the aggressiveness of the hitter, pitch type, and the hitter’s skill level. (So an 0-2 pitch against an overmatched hitter might get a lot of the plate even though the catcher was setting up on the outer eighth.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2016
The catcher only cares if they call one pitch and you are throwing another (Fast vs slow, in vs out, etc.). If you are missing ball lengths than the catcher will be fine. I would leave the catcher out of this.

If it were my daughter I would tell her that:

• If coach calls fastball on 0-2 then she she should miss two ball lengths if it's outside or high. One ball length on inside and low.
  • If it's 1-2 then try and miss by one ball length (all locations).
  • if it's 2-2, paint the black/zone.

This keeps it simple and the coach won't know/care/say anything. If coach does say something then it opens up the conversation naturally, "I hate giving up hits on 0-2" and see what the coach says.

If coach calls change/curve/drop then go for the punch-out. Curve should be on the black and change should be thrown on the "U". Don't over complicate all of the permutations on all of the pitch types.
Thank you for this! I like it a lot. Could you please clarify what the "U" is for the change up?

Oct 4, 2018
Yup.

Gotta work with your daughter to simply extend the calls a bit. If coach calls for an 0-2 fastball on the outside corner, throw it on the river.

She'll get more outs, coach will feel like a genius, all is well.

May 17, 2012
Thank you for this! I like it a lot. Could you please clarify what the "U" is for the change up?

Don't pitch a change up in 2 or 5

View attachment 24323

Pretty much this.

First and foremost you have to throw the change for a strike constantly. So ignore the "U" until you can do this.

Once they have command they should always throw the change for a strike (on the "U" somewhere). If you leave it fat over the plate they will bang it.

Oct 4, 2016
Pretty much this.

First and foremost you have to throw the change for a strike constantly. So ignore the "U" until you can do this.

Once they have command they should always throw the change for a strike (on the "U" somewhere). If you leave it fat over the plate they will bang it.
Thanks! Accuracy is there - she usually keeps it down and outside (for RH batter).

In all I think all of these ideas are going to be helpful! I appreciate all of your help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles