Pitch calling strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I agree with this up to a point, the point being that there is never a call for a pitch out of the zone. I'm trying to teach my daughter that she can throw the pitch that is called, but that she is in charge of where it goes, depending on the count and other factors. Do you agree with this?
Of course I agree that you shouldn't throw it over the plate in every situation. I just think that when you teach a kid that it's OK to ignore what the coach is asking without at least trying to work on it with them it's a really bad life lesson.

Mar 10, 2020
Of course I agree that you shouldn't throw it over the plate in every situation. I just think that when you teach a kid that it's OK to ignore what the coach is asking without at least trying to work on it with them it's a really bad life lesson.
Then the pitcher should have to shake it off during the game and the coach would have to take a trip to the mound to figure out why.
Highly disagree on a pitcher throwing something they do not feel comfortable with doing. If a pitcher is thinking that much ahead of the coach the pitchers thought process should be included.

Jun 11, 2013
Then the pitcher should have to shake it off during the game and the coach would have to take a trip to the mound to figure out why.
Highly disagree on a pitcher throwing something they do not feel comfortable with doing. If a pitcher is thinking that much ahead of the coach the pitchers thought process should be included.
That's a really big difference then just throwing what you want.

Feb 24, 2021
I would strongly disagree with the comment about throwing every pitch in the SZ. One of my DD's favorite things to do is trying to get the batter to chase one when it's 0-2 or 1-2.

Oct 4, 2016
That's a really big difference then just throwing what you want.

Ok - so this got a little off track. I never wanted my daughter to throw whatever she wants. The problem is that the coach's pitch calling system only calls for strikes, or probably more realistically, doesn't tell the pitchers when to NOT throw strikes, especially on pitcher's counts. The wristband says FB out (not exactly sure the designation). So what my daughter is taking it as, is that she want's it on the outside corner of the plate. Not of the plate completely. She is used to her travel coach calling the pitches with specificity on where he wants it and chase pitches are called and she knows to throw it off the plate, or high, change in the dirt or whatever.

I've tried to tell my daughter that SHE needs to be aware of the count and when she sees a need to throw a chase pitch and throw it. So if the count is 0-2 and she calls CB - she probably means off the plate. (just using as an example) and to not try to throw it for a called strike. But then, the problem transfers to the catching situation we have, since we have no true catchers and the best catcher we have is a 1b in travel, who played 3b the last two seasons in HS and has just put on the gear this spring, my daughter doesn't want to throw something that the catchers aren't expecting for WPs/PBs.

I've been advised that parents shouldn't try to tell a HS coach how to coach so I'm staying hands off. My daughter, who was in this situation last season as well as a freshman with a different coach, apparently doesn't feel confident enough to talk to the coach about this type of thing yet, although this coach was the assistant last year and likes my daughter a lot.

I guess I'm asking for a simple way for this to be handled, I've suggested talking to coach, and she's hemmed and hawed about it so far.

I'm also asking if there would be a simple strategy that the pitchers and catchers could use when they are in game - like "When coach calls CB on 0-2, it's going to be 2 balls off the plate, but still a CB. Or if it's a change up, throw it in the dirt in front/on the plate" But not necessarily telling the coach that this is what they are doing - unless they feel comfortable doing so together.

Thanks again for the responses and the help! We had a good lesson with her PC yesterday and she went over the importance of this issue, so hopefully it's sneaking into her head. :)

Oct 4, 2016
Oklahoma has been or at least were before Rocha(not sure about now) using Perry Husband effective velocity. His book "downright filthy pitching" was what Melissa Lombardi started with. It might be a good read just for your own information.
Are you recommending "The Science of Pitch Sequencing" edition of that series?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Observation: How/where the catcher sets up is very important. When you want to throw ball off the plate then set up off the plate.

If the catcher sets up 2 balls off the plate for CB or FB (0-2 or 1-2 count) and pitcher hits the catchers mitt perfect you might get a called 3rd strike, a swing and miss or a weak GB off the end of the bat. And if the catcher mitt has to move slightly towards the plate to catch the pitch, you will OFTEN get a called 3rd strike even if ball is still a ball plus off the plate. It is probably poor umpiring but I see it all the time.

On the other hand, if the catcher sets up on the black (corner) and catcher has to reach out (move glove) 4 or 5 inches (same location as above) it is almost always call a ball. And if the misses her location the other way then batter has a good chance to barrel it up. Have the catcher set up off the plate when that where you want the ball.

May 17, 2012
The catcher only cares if they call one pitch and you are throwing another (Fast vs slow, in vs out, etc.). If you are missing ball lengths than the catcher will be fine. I would leave the catcher out of this.

If it were my daughter I would tell her that:

• If coach calls fastball on 0-2 then she she should miss two ball lengths if it's outside or high. One ball length on inside and low.
  • If it's 1-2 then try and miss by one ball length (all locations).
  • if it's 2-2, paint the black/zone.

This keeps it simple and the coach won't know/care/say anything. If coach does say something then it opens up the conversation naturally, "I hate giving up hits on 0-2" and see what the coach says.

If coach calls change/curve/drop then go for the punch-out. Curve should be on the black and change should be thrown on the "U". Don't over complicate all of the permutations on all of the pitch types.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles