Is all bat lag bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here is a good lag, it’s the on and around happening. The point where you decide, the loading turns into the swing. Epstein made me realize that you can load right into your swing. The old Change the direction of the knob, insights into the past.

IMB_QvlJY5.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Didn’t I just say this?? It’s all created by timing and pitch location..it’s why I loath ‘stay inside the ball’.. the cue is always taken to far and the hitter becomes a slicer or slap hitter. I much rather prefer hit the inside half of the ball.

They don’t have a plan. You choose the approach, ready to choose the exit. You crank deep to arc the barrel very rapidly. Some Lefties have this approach. Very deep arc. That’s not the exit to take on a high inside pitch being pulled. That looks more like this.

giphy.gif

Always, always wished there was more of this swing. They followed the ball into the triple deck, It was crushed.

Edgar knew how to hit line to line. The fact he is way up there in doubles, it wasn’t him legging out doubles. He hit doubles. It’s completely opposite of Ichiro close to 500 infield hits. Ichiro hit the ball weakly many, many times. That was no part of Edgar’s game.

What is the approach? Hitting inside the ball.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
They don’t have a plan. You choose the approach, ready to choose the exit. You crank deep to arc the barrel very rapidly. Some Lefties have this approach. Very deep arc. That’s not the exit to take on a high inside pitch being pulled. That looks more like this.

giphy.gif

Always, always wished there was more of this swing. They followed the ball into the triple deck, It was crushed.

Edgar knew how to hit line to line. The fact he is way up there in doubles, it wasn’t him legging out doubles. He hit doubles. It’s completely opposite of Ichiro close to 500 infield hits. Ichiro hit the ball weakly many, many times. That was no part of Edgar’s game.

What is the approach? Hitting inside the ball.

Look at where the barrel moves to before he swings. He’s pulling the ball. The arc says so. See how the barrel gets away from his head a bit before swinging? That’s called getting the head out. Ulnar w the front hand. I think letting the ball travel is better than inside the ball. They both work. They both don’t if taken to far. If it’s an outside pitch or off speed the barrel will go rearward a bit more first, more radial (closer to the body) or lag or delay. But the hands are set before they go forward. There just isn’t time to adjust the hands after launch. Sure you could pull the arms in or extend them. Or change posture. But not much else. I think the approach w most good HOFers is hit it where it’s pitched.

The great ones have great hands. All pros are not equal.

1689248196961.gif

Getting too high or inside heaters w an inside the ball or delayed approach can kill power opportunities. Like the best pros say, they try to see it and react. Pretty sure Don Slaught made ‘ITB’ popular. He said he hit for a better average but couldn’t hit for power anymore.

The best inside pitch hitter was Ted. What’s his bat doing?

1689252579853.gif

Edit: the hands plane the pitch, the body follows the hands intended route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45