Is a fielding Face Mask necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Just because boys are too dumb to wear face protection, I don't see how that can be a valid argument against what anyone else wears.

There are plenty of boy's sports that wear all kinds of protection.

I learned recently that boy's lacross wears a cage on the helmet but not girls. I haven't checked it out, yet, to see if that is true.

Jan 15, 2009
It's true about girls lacrosse but there is no checking in girls lacrosse either

Boys Lacrosse they beat the snot out of each other and are covered head to toe in pads. Girls Lacrosse they wear googles and skirts. It's terrible, My son plays Lacrosse and loves it, my daughter who is a catcher and loves to mix it up saw some boys games and was ready to switch sports on the spot. Then she found out that the girls wear skirts and goggles and aren't allowed to hit and said no way.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I was a catcher and would you suggest we don't wear a (***)! Let's get serious. Why take the risk. My dd suffered an eye injury. She came very close to a detached Retina. She know wears a game face even playing Short, because the doctor mandated it. You get the same arguments with seat belts. It will never happen to ME@!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
What I see are some dads puffing out their chests saying that wearing a mask might be "OK for your relatively unskilled kid, but mine is too good and too quick to have that happen to them". Ignorance is bliss.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My dd plays 14U and all infielders are encouraged to wear a mask. Most of our girls prefer the Rip-It over the Game Face as it allows for greater visibility. It didn't take them long to get used to them. As the bats get hotter and the girls get bigger, I think it's only a matter of time before they become mandatory. Another couple of injuries like Juan Encarnacion's and baseball may start requiring cages on their helmets, too. Right now it's personal preference. It may never happen to your dd, but why chance it? We didn't wear helmets to ride bicycles or skateboards when we were kids either, now most cities require them for kids. If it's available, why not take advantage of the protection. Your child isn't any less gifted or studly because they wear protection.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Great post jinjet95. Read hitters post above on the section on radial deviation and what happend to his son riding a bike without a helment . We never think it will happen to us.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I say that I use Gameface, that is just because it was the first one that I bought. I buy D Masks for my relatives, because I can get them at D icks. I don't know which mask is the best.

DD is now 21, but twice when she was pitching she wasn't quite able to handle come backers and was nailed on the glove hand wrist. Hearing it and seeing DD laying in the circle is not fun - even though I could tell that it wasn't her face or head.

She was a very good fielder and was awarded the golden glove award every year at a large HS. How well you field shouldn't be a factor in whether you wear protection or not.

I put mine on when my glove goes on. I see more accidents during warm ups than during the game.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Amy we have tested most of them. The Rip IT Fielders mask seems to be the best in tersm of what the kids like. Lighter , different colors, easier to fit due to hair issues.My dd still has her old Game face and with all the $$ I have in bats and equipment till it breaks I'm not buying her a new mask.

Oct 19, 2009
Let me put another spin on this. I believe requiring infielders including SS and 2B makes them a better fielder.

What is a common tendency for infielders when a hot one is hit to them and takes a wild hop? They turn their head.

I demonstrate with my kids but making them put on the mask and I toss a ball in their face. Then I tell them to turn their head so I can toss the ball in their ear. For some reason none of my kids will agree to turn their head?!?!

With the game face on, the kids get conditioned to keep their head facing the ball regardless of bad hops and this makes them a better fielder IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi