Coach undermining face mask use

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 16, 2019
Back in her day I'd bet they didn't have bats that could hit a homerun on a check swing either.

College coaches used to not look at girls who wore masks. However, my niece just graduated from a large D1 and about 1/3 of the girls wore them.

The game has changed.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Even back in the day...
I know from hitting how many defensive players were pegged by the ball i hit.
Hit a rocket at a D1 shortstop one time.
Thought darn run fast maybe an errant throw i'll be safe.
As i ran threw first, no throw,
Got on the base, looked to the infield,
the ss was on her knee.
Other players going over to her.
Asked 1b coach what happened.
He said
"You knocked the ss over."
SMACK, luckily it hit her body and not her face.

Thats one story of instances this player with grit strongly believes fielding masks can save big pain and worse injuries!

This has nothing to do with then or now.
;) ...Other than fielding masks are available now!
Prepair accordingly!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Two word response to any remaining anti-maskers: Paige Lowary

I bugged my daughter about wearing a mask in the circle for a long time. Finally, either late in 12U or maybe 14U, she observed that the girls were hitting the ball hard and started wearing a mask. Always gratifying to see somebody make the right choice without having to learn the hard way.

Sep 26, 2011
Girls wanna wear masks...wear 'em. 14U OF wearing masks...that's worth a giggle. I agree with the coach, but also have zero problem with players who want to wear them, or parents who insist their own daughters wear them.

Giggle all you want. My kids got $4k worth of braces and plays on some pretty sketchy outfields. Not to mention saw at least 3 collisions between 2nd base and charging RF in for bloop flyballs this past season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 1, 2018
I coach a second year 12u team..... My rule: If you step on the field for me at practice you are wearing a mask. If you play the infield during a game you are wearing a mask..... it's non negotiable. Don't ask me.
My DD is always the one who starts warm ups without a mask.... every time "go put your freaking mask on"

Jun 20, 2015
I coach a second year 12u team..... My rule: If you step on the field for me at practice you are wearing a mask. If you play the infield during a game you are wearing a mask..... it's non negotiable. Don't ask me.
My DD is always the one who starts warm ups without a mask.... every time "go put your freaking mask on"

next time she starts without the mask on, I suggest running a few laps around the field to reinforce the message.

Jun 1, 2015
For me, it's absolutely non-negotiable. I don't care what the temperature is outside, I don't care if the team we play is worse than us, etc. I write it directly into my player/parent contracts they sign before playing a single practice with me - Masks at practice always, infielders automatically in games (including pitcher), outfielders optional in games (though highly recommended if said players also swap infield time as well). Players/parents not willing to follow these requirements of mine will be thanked for their interest and wished the best of luck finding another team to play for or sport to try out for.

Just because I have to have insurance to have a team does not mean I wish to use it.

Apr 20, 2015
For me, it's absolutely non-negotiable. I don't care what the temperature is outside, I don't care if the team we play is worse than us, etc. I write it directly into my player/parent contracts they sign before playing a single practice with me - Masks at practice always, infielders automatically in games (including pitcher), outfielders optional in games (though highly recommended if said players also swap infield time as well). Players/parents not willing to follow these requirements of mine will be thanked for their interest and wished the best of luck finding another team to play for or sport to try out for.

Just because I have to have insurance to have a team does not mean I wish to use it.
What age level? I'm not into any coach telling me how to best keep my kiddo safe. I actually support the use of masks and my kiddo wore one all the time until 2nd yr 12s. Shes now 2nd yr 14s and only wears it for corner infield which she rarely plays. She is a short stop primarily. Our coaches were always supportive either way. It absolutely scares me that our current corner doesn't wear one, nor do 2 of our pitchers but its not my business. She plays national level 2nd yr 14s now and we rarely see masks except on corners and pitchers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
all these people putting the poo-poo on masks.... have you ever been standing in coaches box at 3b and watched 3B wear one in the face? trust me, she was even with bag and glove wasn't 1/2 way up to play the ball. thankfully, she was wearing a mask and popped right back up. And this was at 18u.

Mar 10, 2020
What age level? I'm not into any coach telling me how to best keep my kiddo safe.

I actually support the use of masks and my kiddo wore one all the time until 2nd yr 12s. Shes now 2nd yr 14s and only wears it for corner infield which she rarely plays. She is a short stop primarily. Our coaches were always supportive either way. It absolutely scares me that our current corner doesn't wear one, nor do 2 of our pitchers but its not my business. She plays national level 2nd yr 14s now and we rarely see masks except on corners and pitchers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
See we are in agreement with masks. Agree parenting has a major role in safety of our kids.
Also see it the coach has a role determining what they think is best on their team.
Any coach who doesnt want protective gear on the field is more concerning.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00