Is a fielding Face Mask necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We heard all the excuses in the world when we were trying to get helmet batting cages made mandatory. Now, they are mandatory. They help prevent unnecessary pain and injury. They aren't given a second thought now.

Start with the younger set, if necessary, but start it. Protect your kid's face; facial injuries can cause a lifetime of suffering. Pitchers and corners.

The only excuse was and still is cowardice. If you are the parent, it is YOUR job to protect your child no matter the age. If you aren't willing to do the job, you should be paying whatever organizing body of what sport your offspring is playing some child support.

Mar 13, 2010
I forgot to answer visibility: Look, put a mask on yourself and you will see. You do get used to it, but there are directions you can't see. You are kidding yourself to think it is so easy to see out of those.

I'll vouch for that. I refuse to play with glasses for the same reason. It limits your visibilty. (and I have used one now, pitched wearing a demo one of the mum's had and I hated it)

We heard all the excuses in the world when we were trying to get helmet batting cages made mandatory. Now, they are mandatory. They help prevent unnecessary pain and injury. They aren't given a second thought now.

You mean those masks over the helmets? They're not mandatory everywhere. It's very, very hard to find them in Aus. I've seen some girls wear them, but they are not common at all. I don't think I've ever seen an international player wear them.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
When my DD is 18 years old or until she is paying for her own insurance, she wears a mask or she doesn't play. No debate. She's worn one in the infield for 3 years and I have never heard her say she missed a play because the mask obstructed her vision.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Limited visibility is the most common excuse used. Does a mask limit your visibility? Yes, no question. Can you easily get used to it? Yes, but only if you WANT or HAVE to. Otherwise, how do you explain a catcher's ability to play the position with a full helmet, a more obstructive mask and a bat periodically whipping by just 2-3 feet in front of their face? If you don't want to wear a mask in the first place, you're less likely to make a real effort to take the little time actually necessary to get used to and adapt to it. If you don't want to wear a mask for whatever reason, fine, just don't wear it, but please stop with the bogus excuses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi