Terrible human being

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
Terrible behavior; that guy has no business being in youth sports.

But let me ask this. How many of us allow our girls to do chants that talk about opposing players? I’ve always viewed this as a HUGE sportsmanship FAIL, but feel as though I am in the minority as umpires and opposing coaches generally see no need to tell them to cheer for their own players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this, When I posted about that on here a while back I was Innthe vast minority. I wont let our team chant about the other team. The lack of sportsmanship is flat out appalling in youth sports.

May 9, 2017
coaches from other teams have no business talking to or especially at players on other teams......unless it is to tell them 'nice play' - at younger level rec games, i have at times found myself coaching players on other teams on occasion.....but we're a small league where everyone knows each other......talk like that to or about one of my players in a travel or school ball game? time out will be called, and one way or another it will be dealt with immediately, even if it means calling the AD or TD/UIC over......no excuse whatsover.......it's bad enough he treated his players like that (and I would be reporting that behavior to someone if he was my opponent, even if he did not address my players or talk about them)

i can be demanding....i can be loud.....i can hold players, coaches and myself accountable........but my god, if i ever talked like that, someone better step up and say something
It’s the same in our rec league most of the time we end up coaching a kid then she ends up on another team in the league. On our current team I coach 1st base and usually I’ll joke around with the first baseman and say something like if there’s a foul ball run over me just make sure it’s recorded so you can be famous. I’m really enjoying the coaching style of the HC I’m with now because it’s more focused on teaching not critiquing and really focus on the positives. It does seem more difficult with our own daughters I suppose because of expectations but luckily him and I work well together and we can see what the other is thinking and redirect. I agree with you 100% though, unless it’s a positive, safety, or congratulations scenario it’s best just to keep quiet. I had an opposing coach actually heckle my pitcher and that almost ended badly

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I would consider that unsportsmanlike like behaviour and confine that coach to the dugout. I always try to avoid a parking lot ejection, and never argue in a confrontational stance (chest to chest, squared up, etc).
Call time, walk to the offending coach,and have this convo shoulder to shoulder with me holding open the lineup sheet ... "Coach, do not directly address any player on the opposing team and do not make another negative comment about a player from the opposing team or you will be confined to the bench for the remainder of the game, where any other offense will result in forfeit"
If its hot/cold... Im not sending you to the a/c or heater. Sit your butt down right over there and enjoy the elements
I like the aspect of not lighting a fuse to take care of a problem, but on the flip side I can see merit in shutting down the coach in a calm but firm manner, loud enough that others can hear you. Let everyone know that this behavior is not tolerated, especially the players who will be the next generation of coaches. The more they hear it, the less it will happen.

Sep 7, 2020
4 years ago the director of our rec league was also the head coach for the 10U TB team. He was so bad he actually threw a one week old ASA ghost down so hard he broke it. Sounded like a baby rattle afterwards. We were not playing at that time but the team aged up to 12 U and he followed as HC. The following year same crap behavior to the point that his Asst HC took over the team for the last three tournaments. We jointed the 2nd year 12s with the now new HC who complained constantly about how bad the director's behavior was all Fall Ball, turned right into the same guy. Screaming at everyone's girls but mine, talking to opposing coaches when we were up and he was on third- this kid has no business on this field, this one is an easy out for you etc... it was addressed several times to the director who just blew it off so collectively when the team aged out all the parents had a meeting and we took the entire time to a new league. Best decision we ever made.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
If you, as a parent are afraid to stand up for your kid how do ever expect your kid to stand up for themselves?

There is just too much of this crap going on and there's too much apathy to stop it. I'm glad to hear from some here who have taken that first step...keep it going.

Jan 26, 2021
I wanted to share a situation that occurred last night that I can't believe I actually witnessed. We were playing a 10U Rec league game, at our home field. Right from the warmups I had a bad feeling about the opposing head coach by comments I heard him making to his own girls, things like "miss that ball again and your riding the bench" and "if you don't swing the bat why bother coming to the game". I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing him say to these young girls that he is supposed to be teaching and helping them grow to love the game! We took the field to begin the game and that's when he started with our girls, as our pitcher was warming up he was talking loud enough for his team to hear saying negative things about our girl on the mound to the point where you can clearly see it was bothering her. It's hard enough for these young girls that are just starting to pitch to stay focused, and part of the game is them learning to deal with the opposing team when they cheer/chant to not let it get in their head. So the first batter came up and our pitcher was clearly rattled by this coach and she hit the first girl she faced. So our catcher who does a remarkable job for a young girl managing the game went and talked to her and whatever she said worked she struck out the next 2. So the coach yells to his #4 hitter, this pitcher is nothing, go up there and wait for your pitch. It definitely got in her head again and she hit the batter, the coach explodes talking directly to our pitcher asking her if he needs to send his batters up with catchers gear on to protect them and a few other out of line comments again directly to her. The ump finally gave him a warning about his behavior. Move forward 2 innings and we have an different pitcher in, to keep it somewhat short he stated all over again with this young girl, at this point he made 2 10 year olds upset to the point of tears, I had enough and told him if he speaks to any of our girls again he was going to have a serious problem. I'll stop venting, I was just so shocked and appalled that a grown man could act/treat innocent young girls the way he did, there is no room for people like this in youth sports of any kind and I really hope he gets what he deserves and is banned from coaching. Thanks for listening/reading!
So you wouldn't be from a Massachusetts town would you? HA! We had the same thing happen during a rec game. Terrible, I felt bad for the girls on the other team.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Id love to know why the umpire allowed this to go on? Its pretty obvious that if you could hear what he was saying across the field, that the umpires would hear it as well. Im obviously not blaming the umps for this @$$holes actions, but after the first inning I wouldve definitely had a conversation with the ump that either he needs to get the coach under control or you will forfeit the remainder of the game since you refuse to subject your players to the opposing coaches actions.

And as others have mentioned, Id certainly report the coaches actions to the league office. If he has done the same thing with other teams as well, maybe reporting him will get other coaches on board to actually stand up for their teams and put a stop to this guy.

Nov 13, 2020
we left my DD’s 10u team because of the HC who would do similar things - slam the fence to the dugout during tournaments when he was mad, drop the f word during practice, got ejected for arguing with the ump during a Saturday pool play game, yelling Loudly at a girl threatening to bench them in the middle of a game when they made an error or if he sees them crying. When he screamed Out duirng One game, I stood up from the sideline shaking my head and said ‘this is ridiculous.. ’. no other parent showed any agreement with me nor did anyone else think his behavior was wrong. I saw another parent a few months after we quit and the parent basically told me ... well, some kids just can’t handle it. its amazing to me how these parents don’t think anything was wrong. Who wants to go to work and have a boss that yells at your face threatens to fire you in front of everyone when you make a mistake? We don’t tolerate that behavior at work as adults but apparentLy it’s ok to be a dbag to 10 yr old girls. It’s sad that this crappy behavior is tolerated... especially if the team is winning.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
But let me ask this. How many of us allow our girls to do chants that talk about opposing players? I’ve always viewed this as a HUGE sportsmanship FAIL, but feel as though I am in the minority as umpires and opposing coaches generally see no need to tell them to cheer for their own players.

We don't allow those. It's not something I always think to mention, but when new players to our team start one, we shut it down. I'm all for the cheers. I want the energy. But focus it on our own players.

I'm not even sure I'd call it bad sportsmanship. It's not intimidating (mostly because everybody's heard all the chants a million times). It doesn't bother me when teams use those chants. But it doesn't create the vibe I want.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles