Increasing arm circle speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
That's why I come here, for advice. I'm doing everything I can to learn and break away from all the antiquated methods and thought. I've spent several years teaching and doing things because its the way its always been done. Because of this message board I'm learning that just because its always been taught that way doesn't make it right.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
In the words of Gerald Casale...

It's very important that you buy a cheap plastic hardhat liner, adjust it to your head size and affix it with duct tape or Super Glue to the inside of the Dome. This allows the Dome to "float" just above the cranium and thus do its job. Unfortunately, without a hard hat liner, the recirculation of energy WILL NOT occur.

For those of you that have no idea why the hell Ken is posting pictures of Devo wearing an energy dome...

... well you're fortunate you missed the 80's... as the only good thing that came out of that period was... um... the 90's. lol ;)

That said, Devo and Ken B are trying to sing you that 80's classic... WHIP IT.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013

For those of you that have no idea why the hell Ken is posting pictures of Devo wearing an energy dome...

... well you're fortunate you missed the 80's... as the only good thing that came out of that period was... um... the 90's. lol ;)

Just now got back to that post. That's funny right there. Now I'll have that damn song stuck in my head the rest of the night.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

Just trying to beat BoardMember posting Chubby Checker....

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
204dv.gif

For those struggling with IR/whip, this is .gif is awesome. Watch the inside of the elbow. From the time the upper arm pauses until it unlocks, it has rotated 180 degrees. The lower arm accelerates at an amazing speed. This action cannot be MADE to happen; it is ALLOWED to happen. We just set the arm in the optimum orientation for whip to occur: elbow leads, palm up, upper arm pauses and loose lower arm.

Arm speed is absolutely necessary for bowlers. They have to make the ball go fast. Good whippers only need good form.

(Thx to FFS for a post some time ago for explaining this using "allow" vs "force." It's been very useful in helping to explain whip to folks.)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think we all know, or should know, that the ends of the fingers and ball are traveling faster through the release with the IR/whip motion than they would be with the bowler method.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
204dv.gif

For those struggling with IR/whip, this is .gif is awesome. Watch the inside of the elbow. From the time the upper arm pauses until it unlocks, it has rotated 180 degrees. The lower arm accelerates at an amazing speed. This action cannot be MADE to happen; it is ALLOWED to happen. We just set the arm in the optimum orientation for whip to occur: elbow leads, palm up, upper arm pauses and loose lower arm.

Arm speed is absolutely necessary for bowlers. They have to make the ball go fast. Good whippers only need good form.

(Thx to FFS for a post some time ago for explaining this using "allow" vs "force." It's been very useful in helping to explain whip to folks.)

I like your description … “it is allowed to happen”.

It reminds me of the pause in the rotation of a hitter’s shoulder line … you don’t force that pause, it simply happens due to the transfer of energy that is taking place. Many hitters are not aware of the 'pause' and only become aware of it when it is pointed out to them .... they are not forcing that 'pause', and many hitter's would deny that it even happens if it wasn't pointed out to them.

2m3sox4.gif

May 7, 2008
Tucson
With some girls, near the end of the lesson, I say "Now, come hard, 3 times." They can add 3mph, to their pitch. They are surprised at that and so are the parents.

Oct 22, 2009
Just now got back to that post. That's funny right there. Now I'll have that damn song stuck in my head the rest of the night.

Lucky you, I get it stuck in my head during class and have to sing it out loud.

Usually the only way to get it out is a rendition of, "Can't touch this".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck