Increasing arm circle speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Can any of the pitching gurus on this site reccomend any drills to help a 10u pitcher increase arm circle speed?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Not a guru, but I'll suggest that chasing arm circle speed is not something to strive for. In my opinion, the arms serve two purposes: help with drive, and whip. Arm speed is otherwise irrelevant. Increasing armspeed outside of contributing to these purposes detracts from contributing to them. Focus should be on using them to help the drive and to whip. BoardMember recently posted a couple videos in the "Do This" thread that demos using both arms to pull in during release.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
If your DD has a really fluid whip... I'd focus on increasing that speed... not the whole circle. Increasing the speed of the arm circle does not always directly correlate to increased ball speed. Often... pitchers that focus on creating too much circle speed do so with tension... and the whip lessens.... because the extra momentum they may gain... is that much more that they need to control during the whip. Proximal deceleration is more difficult with increased proximal speed...

My recommendation would be to work on increasing proximal stability of the upper arm (slowing it down during the whip)... and this will result in better whip... as more energy will be passed on to the forearm... and into the hand. Once your sure that this is happening, I'd work on adding arm velocity in the prescribed set of progressions that BM has (lock, 9, liberty, show-it).

If you've questions regarding what I mean... watch the Jennie Finch slo-mo that gets passed around on here often... here it is:

204dv.gif

Increasing forearm speed is probably what your after... and ^^^ performing this controlled ballistic movement is the key... ~JS

Regarding Ken's post... that regards BM's post... Watch the example he performs right around the 1:03 mark... That motion is a handy resistive drill I'll use on girls that exhibit an understanding and are working towards 'advancing' their already good use of I/R...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Regarding JS's post... I'd suggest that increasing forearm speed comparable to another concept BoardMember demo'd in his posting of a trebuchet. Much like a bullwhip; there are no powered mechanisms along it's entire length, or the rope sling on the trebuchet. It may seem counter-intuitive at first, but in reality: the looser the lower arm--the faster the pitch!

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
She is currently a "bowler" in transition. Her arm circle is noticeably slower than any other pitcher I have. Subsequently so are her pitches. She is incredibly accurate and is able to hit her spots but is very susceptible to getting rocked and it really hurts her confidence. I am trying to help her gain a little speed and maybe get some of her confidence back.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Furthering Ken's response... ;)

Unless you're this dude...
166mxib.jpg

... as you progress away from the shoulder... each jointed segment of the arm has less mass... and this organization of lesser mass outwards requires that the proximal segment be decelerated in order to transport.. .or pass energy on to the more distal segment. The deceleration moments of each proximal segment increase the forces at each distal segment ... and the end result is greater angular velocity. Utilizing the stretch reflex in addition to the proximal-distal sequence pattern (horizontal adduction and palm to sky)... well... that creates a pretty powerful force coupling...

BM's video is really cool... cause the adduction movement across the body is where much of the power in a pitch comes from...

Embracing these three concepts... and implementing them efficiently... is where you'll find 90% of the speed you're looking for ArkFastpitch.

Oh yeah... Ken... YOU ROCK!!! ;)

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
She is currently a "bowler" in transition. Her arm circle is noticeably slower than any other pitcher I have. Subsequently so are her pitches. She is incredibly accurate and is able to hit her spots but is very susceptible to getting rocked and it really hurts her confidence. I am trying to help her gain a little speed and maybe get some of her confidence back.

Ahh... Well, I can say with 100% confidence that the time spent converting will yield the results you're after.

As she's already experienced 'getting rocked'... she might be that much more willing to implement the changes. If you dedicate the time... the results will be there.

If it helps... I worked closely with another coach in converting 3 bowlers to I/R this last month. In two-weeks... each of those kids added 5-10 mph... and none of them are throwing it harder... just wiser.

If you need a hand in the conversion... we're all here to help. Let us know... or post a video. Most of the trolls are well-contained... and the advice you'll get from people like Ken... might just be the added boost you need to get her 'over that hump'!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
... as you progress away from the shoulder... each jointed segment of the arm has less mass... and this organization of lesser mass outwards requires that the proximal segment be decelerated in order to transport.. .or pass energy on to the more distal segment. The deceleration moments of each proximal segment increase the forces at each distal segment ... and the end result is greater angular velocity. Utilizing the stretch reflex in addition to the proximal-distal sequence pattern (horizontal adduction and palm to sky)... well... that creates a pretty powerful force coupling...
'
DEVOdome_1b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812