Pitching style, pitch learning priority

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Amongst the pitching gurus that I’m aware of, Hillhouse, Pauly, Tincher, Scarborough, Balswick, (others?), do these all agree on the same pitching fundamentals? Also, what would be their must-learn pitches? Do all consider bullet spin a serious negative?

Nov 9, 2021
Most of them agree on the basics. But always different nuances between pitching instructors.

Learn to master the fast ball and then the next pitch kids should learn is the change up. I would recommend spending considerable time on those pitches before learning any others. I wouldn’t even mess with change up until the fastball is consistent first.

Lot of opinions on bullet spin, even on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
Most of them agree on the basics. But always different nuances between pitching instructors.

Learn to master the fast ball and then the next pitch kids should learn is the change up. I would recommend spending considerable time on those pitches before learning any others. I wouldn’t even mess with change up until the fastball is consistent first.

I think most of the differences when comparing someone like myself to Balswick would be terminology, not fundamentals. We might put different emphasis on different things and use different words/phrases but there wouldn't be much difference mechanically. I can say that because I have had students (and I assume they've had some of mine) of different instructors like Balswick, Gillis, etc. and every kid and parent says the differences in the mechanics being taught are very minimal. I inject (or try hard) as much humor as possible into my lessons to break the ice for the kids, someone like Doug Gillis is much more serious in nature. I don't think one is right and the other is wrong, it's just our own personalities.

Yes, there's lots of opinions on bullet spin. However, I'd bet my house and what little I have in my bank account that Gillis or Balswick (or anyone who's pitched in men's fastpitch) would ever teach it or think it's a good thing. I certainly don't either.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Amen. Nobody cares how fast you can throw ball.
That sounds like something from Ed Serdar. Thanks!

My favorite Ed story: He's coaching 3B. The batter swings at a pitch at her chin. She takes the next pitch, which is at her shoulders. The ump calls it a strike. The batter looks down at Ed with that "Can you believe he called it a strike" look. Ed yells, "Don't look at me. He's got better judgment than you."

Oct 25, 2009

By master the fast ball would being able to hit locations consistently be a part of that? Meaning high, in and out and low, in and out.

Nov 9, 2021
By master the fast ball would being able to hit locations consistently be a part of that? Meaning high, in and out and low, in and out.

It would to me. Being able to locate a pitch is a must to be able to use it consistently. Don’t get caught up in the fuss about throwing 8 different pitches. If your kid can master 3 by the end of high school she is ahead of most.

May 29, 2015
Agreed. It doesn’t matter how much movement or in what direction if you can’t control where it starts in the first place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619