Velocity vs accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2021
My DD that is a 2012 and been in lessons about a year is consistent in the mid 40's. High 40's on good day. She is accurate and knows how to pitch with placement even if a coach isn't calling the pitches. My question is which is better. Placement at 45-47 or slinging it 50? She uses a fastball and change up which is good and mixes in a curveball here and there. Curveball isn't that consistent so it only comes out when she is ahead. My question is at 10 years old which is more important? Velocity or accuracy? She could throw faster I'm sure but with less accuracy. She has really been doing good lately. My question is should I keep pushing accuracy over Velocity? The different pitches are working their way in.

Oct 26, 2019
The mistake you are making is believing it is an either/or proposition.
@DNeeld is correct. It’s is a sliding scale. The more velocity you have the more mistakes you can get away with. The same goes for movement. At her age I would just make sure she is learning how to pitch (moving the ball in and out, changing speeds, setting up hitters, sequencing, mechanics, etc.). Velocity will come as she gets older and stronger as long as the intent to throw hard is there.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My question is at 10 years old which is more important? Velocity or accuracy?
The more important questions are (1) is she having fun, (2) is she pitching enough innings and (3) is she having success.

The different pitches are working their way in.
Oh boy.

Question: Why do 25YOA MLB pitchers, who have all the time, money and coaches in the world have *at most* two breaking pitches while a bunch of 10 year olds have six?

Answer: The 10 year olds don't. It is all BS. It just a bunch of Daddies sitting around trying to impress each other.

Developing a good pitcher is about incremental improvements in speed and control over a period of years.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD that is a 2012 and been in lessons about a year is consistent in the mid 40's. High 40's on good day. She is accurate and knows how to pitch with placement even if a coach isn't calling the pitches. My question is which is better. Placement at 45-47 or slinging it 50? She uses a fastball and change up which is good and mixes in a curveball here and there. Curveball isn't that consistent so it only comes out when she is ahead. My question is at 10 years old which is more important? Velocity or accuracy? She could throw faster I'm sure but with less accuracy. She has really been doing good lately. My question is should I keep pushing accuracy over Velocity? The different pitches are working their way in.
Hmmm,
She has a pitch with speed and a changeup. Introducing using a curve that isn't consistent yet.

So she actually has some velocity and the ability to take speed off of the pitch.
Which is excellent because controlling velocity is more important than only velocity.
Continue developing both.

Within all pitches location/ accuracy will produce.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The one thing I don't see in your post is about mechanics. With sound mechanics comes speed and movement. My daughter didn't throw a curve until she was 15, and it's still a work in progress. We focused on mechanics, which helped her get a strong foundation as a pitcher.

I've seen many girls who could throw strikes at 10U but who had bad mechanics. Those girls don't tend to progress. As Sluggers said, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Watched the Nolan Ryan movie/documentary. He was never taught mechanics until he was on the Angels. He would spin off badly, very different then his classic finish more like Greg Maddox.

May 17, 2012
If throw strikes you are a pitcher and can pitch as long as you would like at some level of softball.

If you throw strikes with velocity you can pitch as long as you like at the upper levels of softball.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The one thing I don't see in your post is about mechanics. With sound mechanics comes speed and movement. My daughter didn't throw a curve until she was 15, and it's still a work in progress. We focused on mechanics, which helped her get a strong foundation as a pitcher.
Sara Groenewegen told one of my pitchers that she didn't even have a change-up until college.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom