Velocity vs accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
They need to make money, so they pump up the numbers to make it look like they're throwing harder than they do in games.

There's one facility that constantly posts pictures of girls holding a Pocket Radar with a speed they accomplished on a run through. Some people may argue whether or not a run through does anything for a pitcher, but the point is the numbers are not what you'd see in a game. There's a reason outfielders get up a head of steam before releasing a long throw, and that reason is the extra speed and distance they gain from throwing at full speed.
If they are telling everyone the number is from a walkthrough I don’t see the problem. Subtract about 4-5 mph and that would be close to game speed.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Using a speed timing device is something almost anybody can do.
But doing it right takes learning. Unfortunately Doing It Wrong still shows results, while they may be inaccurate,
it doesn't tell you it's inaccurate.

Toward the conversation of instructors speed timing their students... just like going to college and travel ball camps those numbers can be all over the place as well.
Same as one parent timing their own daughter or timing other pitcher on the team can be all over the place.

Pointing a finger at instructors is silly.
IF anyone is purposely Fudging numbers, could go either way to prompt people to think they're either doing better than they are. Or need to improve further.

Seeing what's actually happening in games is more a role of parents, the athlete and coach.
Can take video and use timing devices on that video as well.

It should also be noted that some people never do speed timing.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
If they are telling everyone the number is from a walkthrough I don’t see the problem. Subtract about 4-5 mph and that would be close to game speed.
In fairness, they do say it's on a run through. Still, some people might look at that and get a false impression.

Sep 13, 2021
We're in SoCal in second year 12s on a good team. The better pitchers, which to me, are the ones that can minimize runs against good hitting teams (i.e,, 2-3 times through the order) are the ones that have enough velo for at least a 12-15 mph difference between FB and change and at least a couple consistent spin pitches, plus command. Walks kill and outs are outs. Gas is sexy, but if it's straight, it's going to get hit hard by the better hitters on the better teams. FWIW, 51-52 would have been solidly average FB at the friendlies we played yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott