How much does ball compression/COR really matter with regards to game outcome?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Having a discussion with another dad. His daughter plays on the best 12u team in the area. This team has decided to not play a certain ABC org because they changed their required ball specs. The coaches and dads all think by making the ball 'mushier' it takes away their hitting advantage. They think it levels the playing field against weaker teams. I don't believe it for a second that this has any impact over the outcome of a the game. They are better than everyone else whether the ball is 47 COR or 52 COR.

Does this really matter with regards to the outcome of games?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So they do not like the new NSA ball? Yes it is different, the 275# compression makes it mushier so in our case it forced our players to execute at the plate. And the .52 COR made it bouncy so our infielders had to step up their game. It sounds like some 12U dads maybe be chasing plastic instead of working to get better. If your team is truly competitive you make the adjustments and can play with any ball against anyone.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
A 12U org changed balls? I thought everyone used .47/375 with no debate.

As far as difference, we have some Evil .52/300, good shot vs good shot I think 15-16 year olds get another 40 feet.

iFastpitch

All Out, All Day
Apr 28, 2014
The Diamonds
Changes in compression have a greater impact than a change in COR. Weather has an enormous impact on the compression of a softball. Studies have shown that when the temperature is 100 degrees, an average softball loses 200 pounds of compression as compared with the same softball at 60 degrees. Blame it on the weather. Just my take. ;)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Compression strength only means it takes the listed # weight to make the ball egg shape 1/4"....this will dampen the pop. Requiring the batter provide a touch more power rather than relying on recoil. The bigger advantage to this ball is the ability to drag bunt. The ball dies off the barrel easier.

ARMY moto: you can choose to adapt and overcome any and all obstacles, or find excuses as to why you've failed. Which one decribes you?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Having a discussion with another dad. His daughter plays on the best 12u team in the area. This team has decided to not play a certain ABC org because they changed their required ball specs. The coaches and dads all think by making the ball 'mushier' it takes away their hitting advantage. They think it levels the playing field against weaker teams. I don't believe it for a second that this has any impact over the outcome of a the game. They are better than everyone else whether the ball is 47 COR or 52 COR.

Does this really matter with regards to the outcome of games?

Outcome? Probably not... If you have a power hitting/slower team it does take away some advantages maybe, but if you are better, then you will adjust and be fine. Whether you want to is a different story.

We wont be playing NSA anymore because of this ball. It might be OK as the girls get even bigger and stronger, and can hit even harder but at 12U it meant we played our outfield way shallow (like deep 2nd/SS depth) and played our infield much further up for all but the biggest girls (since the outfield was really close). It really changed how we played the game.

The ball DIES in the air. It bounces hard. It was hot and it rapidly became very mushy after the first couple of batters. So the effect was even more noticeable. Our RF made routine outs at 1B regularly. Even bunting was harder because the infield is already 'in'

The idea that it is somehow safer is poorly thought out. All our infielders were extra close to the batters. And I don't see how you would develop your outfielders (which is one of our 12U goals) because the ball almost never got out there (in 8 games we had maybe 3 or 4 hits go over our shallow outfielders).

We had 8U and 10U at our park as well. They didn't have a outfield at all. Everyone was in the infield.

Yes we adjusted. Probably did about as well as we would with the 'regular' ball in terms of result, but it wasn't an enjoyable experience. So we wont be playing NSA any more - but then we are lucky in Florida where we have lots of choices on where to play.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We played an NSA tournament this year with the new ball and really did not see a difference. My best hitters still hit bombs with it. The only thing that kept those hits from being home runs was the lack of a fence, so they had to chug their way around the bases!

Aug 20, 2013
We played an NSA tournament this year with the new ball and really did not see a difference. My best hitters still hit bombs with it. The only thing that kept those hits from being home runs was the lack of a fence, so they had to chug their way around the bases!

No way your girls used the new ball without seeing a difference. The difference is very obvious. We played 1 tournament where 1 of each was used during each game. I seen some girls that absolutely blast the ball hit shots with the new ball that fall wayyy short of the older ball.

Aug 20, 2013
I agree with Marriad on this 100%. I've talked to our coaches about excluding NSA from our schedule as well. Although, I don't think it really affects the outcome of the games. They claim this ball is safer, but using a nerf ball would be too. Where do you draw the line? Hopefully, the other orgs don't follow the lead

May 11, 2014
just wondering, wasnt the ncaa looking at going to a different ball or was that for last year. remembering hearing something about it at some time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA