How Many Pitchers on your Roster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Just curious how many pitchers your team has on the roster. Are they similar in ability? How many is too many? Too few? How many games per month will make them (reasonably) happy?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
we have 2 'go to' pitchers and 2 'others' 4 total. It is too many, the 'go to' girls
get the elimination games, the 'others' get starts in seed games with a short leash,
they only pitch elimination if we are on the high side of a blow-out. The girls are ok
with it, the parents of 'the others' are not happy as they see DD thru rose colored glasses.
A few years ago, I explained to a parent that his DD did not have the necessary control to
pitch elimination games, and that I would not throw a single elimination tournament
for her to throw a game on a Sunday. He didn't understand, even after her stats showed
over 50 walks in about 40 innings. She left the program and is now a #1 pitcher for another team.
We scrimmaged her last week, she had 7 walks in 3 innings and left the game down 5-0.
This brings me back to the thread from last month on when to give up on pitching lessons. She
is a great kid and a very good 2B, just not a pitcher.

On my HS team last spring, we had 3 pitchers, the #1 got 80% of the innings because she is very good,
also was a junior the #2 and 3 were freshmen.

Feb 6, 2009
We have 3. I think over that is too many to juggle. I thought we had 2 go to pitchers and a third to eat up some innings against weaker teams. Unfortunately, over the fall, one of the go to pitcher's couldn't find the strike zone. A quality teams needs 2 go to minimum and a third who will get some innings against weaker teams.

Apr 25, 2010
We have way too many. We started out with three. Then we picked up a girl as a fielder. As soon as she committed, there started to be grumblings about why aren't we pitching her. We didn't even see her pitch at this point. Now that we have seen her in practice, she's not better than any of the other three, but she is close to comparable. Then we found out that four other girls on our team are taking pitching lessons. We found that out by accident, not by the parents wanting them to pitch for us. So basically, we have a field full of pitchers.... ugh. Thankfully, the other four know they were brought on to play positions, not to pitch. The first girl, on the other hand, doesn't seem to get why she's not the #1. Her grandfather is constantly grumbling about why isn't she pitching...that she's better than most of our pitchers....that she is a superstud at everything. I'm guessing that is why she thinks she is so good, since grandpa is constantly blowing smoke up her you-know-what.

So basically, I would say don't ever roster more than 3. More than that is just a headache you don't need.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
We have 2 "go to" pitchers who get the most innings. We have a 3rd (the coach's daughter) that is actually quite good... however the head coach chooses to keep her primarily in the infield (2nd base). We then have two others that are learning. One pitches for her high-school, but isn't quite up to the starting 2 yet. The 3 non-starters will get innings in fall ball games, pool games and when the game is out of hand.

Apr 8, 2010
we carry 3. we're a new team (have yet to play a game together - will in the spring), but so far two look like they'll be competing for the #1 spot, and the third is decent - throws hard, but has trouble hitting spots. but i dont like carrying more than 3...never have in the past.

as a side thought...i dont see why everyone thinks their kid has to pitch to be good at the game. there are 8 other girls on the field!! i almost wish my dd DIDNT pitch. would allow us more time to focus on other poritions that she really likes (ss and rf). i think a lot of people just see the pitcher getting the rock all the time and want their kid to be part of that action.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
ROFLMAO. Sure, I've got 5 girls that throw 67+ mp and have 4 breaking pitches. Why do you ask?

Two.

Five.

Twenty.

That is fantastic!
One thing that I learned when we started playing 10u TB with an 8u "allstar" team is that every player on the team is a pitcher, SS, & 1B. So we had 12 that "should be pitching". As 12yr olds now, I carry 4. #2 & #3 pitcher are #1 & #2 at 1B. #4 is also #1 Catcher. #1 is middle IF & OF. All smiles through the fall, we'll see come February.

Sep 3, 2009
4 on our team. 1 and 2 are very good, hit spots and have speed and nice repertoire of pitches. 3 is very accurate, just on the lower end of speed range. 4 is on low end of speed, used in pool games as a backup if needed. Coach likes to mix them up. If 1 is throwing good, but we're against a good hitting team, he may pull her after 2 or 3 innings, and put in 3 just to throw them off. Some days even 1 is off, or at soccer, or hurt, or crabby, whatever. Need to have a few in the stable, and they need to play other positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi