Too many pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2021
Looks like our 10u team will have 5-6 pitchers on the roster for the fall. All of them will be second year 10u and are all athletes. They are all very good at other positions so we need them there, they just also happen to be very good pitchers also. My question is what is the best way to handle that many kids getting circle time? Is a set rotation the best way? 3-4 innings each and swap, and just keep on going until it starts back up at the top? I feel like its a blessing and a curse all at the same time to have that many on the staff. Thanks in advance

Jun 20, 2015
if all are close in skill and success, it's pretty easy. warm up 2 pitchers for every game and use both every game. It's really not that hard to keep all fresh and share the innings. Do not fall into the parent trap of Pitcher #1, needs to pitch every inning, etc.

Especially at 10u. all need reps. Now get them reps coach.

Nov 29, 2009
Unfortunately, you'll lose a few of them. No matter what you do with a rotation or however you decide to handle circle time, one or two of the parents will feel their daughter is being slighted for innings. They will leave for another team. It's the nature of the beast.

Apr 14, 2022
I think you will find most pitchers will not care as long as they get decent circle time and enjoy playing other positions. Hopefully they are competitive and will want the ball in big games. I would keep stats to backup who pitches in championship.
Parents are a different story. My kid is not pitching enough then my kid is pitching too much. I still think the biggest issue will not be innings, but rank.
The best thing to do is win. If you only play 4 games you may have issues, if you win and play 35 innings that is 7 each.
Set it up so every pitcher pitches some either in pool or first bracket. With your best pitcher starting bracket.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
I had a JV team years back that had 3 solid pitchers and they each played other positions ... I set up a rotation and everyone, including parents were happy ... Alternatively; you could let everyone pitch until they go through the line up once (unless they're throwing a no - no ) ... That would keep everyone fresh especially as the warmer weather hits ... "Too many pitchers" ... LMAO ... Don't be an oxy moron ... JK

May 13, 2021
If you have 5-6 pitchers that are all very good 10u pitchers 45-50 mph hitting there spots 70% of the time and have decent control of their change-up. It wont be difficult to get them all some reps. You should win a lot of games which means playing a lot of games in each tournament. The problem will be keeping all of them, there will be 1-2 that will be better than the rest that is just a fact, the parents of these kids will expect there child to pitch more, or if they are good enough they will get poached by a better team with a bigger name. Even then you would have 3-4 which is 2-3 more than most 10u teams.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles