How Many Pitchers on your Roster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2009
I see big trouble coming your way

Not necessarily, it depends on the age and the "crazzy mommy/daddy" level of the kid's parents (expect the worst if it's 10u where all the princess are destined for pitching greatness). If a kid tries out for a team as a utility player but decides at some point afterwards to take pitching lessons without mentioning it to the coach I don't think they have a resonable expectation for playing time there in tournaments. Then again, since when does "resonable expectations" have much to do with anything in travel softball.

I tend to think that 4 pitchers is very doable and advisable at younger ages like 10u and 12u where there is no single dominant pitcher but by 14u that number becomes 2.5, with the biggest challenge finding the kid who's content to be the .5 pitcher.

May 25, 2010
Our spring rec team started with 0 in the spring, and ended with 1-1/2. Some of our team's parents would complain when my daughter wasn't pitching and it created unbelievable tension between them and the coach and the other parents who just wanted to enjoy some rec ball. I stayed out of it.

Our fall rec team had 4. My DD was the #1, coach's DD was #2, and then the DDs of the two assistant coaches were #3-4. #1-2 shared about 60% of the innings, 3-4 shared about 40% and also got a couple of starts each. If there was any behind-the-scenes drama or grumbling about innings, I never saw it on the field.

I will admit, however, that my philosophy about pitching is a lot different from many in the softball community. Based on what I've observed in tournaments and the number of back-to-back games girls may be asked to play, I want to have a roster with 4 girls who can start for us or provide ready relief, if necessary. While I intend to rotate them reasonably, it's also important that each girl - and her parents - understand her role on the team.

Aug 16, 2010
We currently have 5 on 14u team. This is a team that is made up of the "perceived best" or "top half" of 2 former rival teams. Obvious #1 and #2, the rest are younger, comparable and are improving consistently. 3-5 usually share innings in pool play with 1-2 handling most of bracket load. No conflicts because we all knew going in what the makeup was - all girls can play other positions very well and are good hitters so they play - just don't pitch as much. All 5 pitch for their respective H.S. and J.H. teams.

Our 12u has 3 - #1 obvious, #s 2 and 3 are comparable. Plenty of mound time for all in fall ball. Tourneys - #1 carries most of load unless we are playing weak team or are significantly ahead ot behind.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2010
1 pitcher and 2 throwers. DD is the pitcher and we have two girls who can throw the ball. DD has the slowest fastball of the 3. She is consistently in the 55 - 57 range while #2 thrower is 60 - 62 and #3 is similar but tires quickly and drops into the 57 - 58 range. Why would the slowest be the pitcher and the others throwers? The answer is how each of these girls approaches their time in the circle. Our flamethrower's approach is to try and blow the pitch past the batters. This works for the weaker teams but most of our competition catches up to the timing by the third/fourth inning and the hits start. Her rise is inconsistent and her change up predictable. The good part is she is a workhorse and is great in elimination games against the weaker teams (she pitched a 16 strikeout perfect game about a month ago). #3 accepts her role and knows she will get circle time in friendlies and pool play.

DD approaches the circle very differently. She spends the majority of the first inning figuring out the umpire. How far outside/inside/up/down can she go for strikes. Every umpire is different and a pitcher learns how to adjust to that uniqueness, a thrower on the other hand tosses the ball in there and hopes for the best. DD's other strength is her change up and drop. She has practiced hundreds of hours to make both look like a fastball. Her fastball is hittable but not when the batters are kept off balance and guessing all day. The current pitcher arrangement works well for this team.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The difference between a pitcher and thrower is a thread all by itself.
My DD is also a pitcher, not afraid to throw the 'chin music' to the girls who crowd the plate.
She likes to let the batter know who's boss. She is a very good student of the game,
finds out where the PU likes the strikes and works around the edges of his zone.

May 7, 2008
DFW
From an instructors perspective I want my students on the mound. I often tell mom or dad if they are not #1 or #2 then find some place to pitch where they can be in those spots. Regardless of team. At the younger ages this is about developement. Nothing more. Nothing less. If your child isnt on the mound then she is falling behind in her development. Practice is good. Mound time is what they need to become a pitcher.

All too often daddy ball gets in the way of a students development. This isnt a problem if your in a large community with lots of teams and opportunity to find a place to pitch. Easy to find another team. In the smaller community it can become a real issue and often does with the coach. If I am a parent and I am spending good money for my daughter to become a pitcher then she has to pitch.

Have had more than one coach get mad at me because I have told a parent to find a new place for DD to pitch. I am never sorry for it. When my DD was pitching we had to deal with the coach constantly trying to find a "Solution' for pitching by bringing in other pitchers. Competition is good too. Every time he did that the daughter stepped up her level of dedication to pitching. She wasnt about to give up that #1 or 2 position to another pitcher.

Its about time on the mound. Period.

Feb 6, 2009
Agreed on the pitching time. At U12 my DD was, in my opinion, the best of the 3 pitchers on her team. The other two coaches DD's pitched. We sucked up the year with very little pitching time. Next year went back to the team she had been on the year before and she was #1 pitcher fr the next 2 years. This year, we're back with the first team at U14 (better team and higher level talent). The other two pitchers from year one are gone as are they daddy coaches. My DD is now #1on this team. If your DD is going to pitch she needs to be in the top 2. The third will get less innings and I don't have any idea how you give the 4th pitcher any innings. Never be afraid to leave. Pitching is a valubale commodity. If your DD is good she will be needed at U14 and higher. If not, time to find a new position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi