Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So I’ve given evidence that grip strength matters. The bat bending forward at impact which went ignored. How does a bat bend forward at contact without the grip or hand strength playing a role in that? Hank Aaron would squeeze those grip strengtheners thingys everyday. One of the greatest hitters ever. Did he do it in vein? LOL. HR KING. I don’t think so. So to me there must be a bat-body connection unless someone can explain why the bat does that? And why Hank did that everyday?

The brick wall can’t be explained. The catapult can’t be explained. The experiments given by Pattar has very little human element to it and are with vice grips, tee swings, stationary ‘hits’ or without any realistic body bracing for impact. The body can’t get involved. Hardly the same thing.

but we have all seen and know that bigger kids hit it farther. To think the body has nothing to do with that is a cop out imo. Sorry Dr. Nathan.

the evidence is pretty obvious when you think about it. would you rather get hit by a feather going 100 mph or a car going 20 mph? Of course the feather. Mass matters.

The body braces when anticipating impact with anything. Basically a brick wall. When you lift weights. When running. When you are tackling or being tackled and can see the impact coming. How about when you throw a punch? Or getting punched? Yeah same thing. once again this is not a physics thing. It’s an anatomical thing.

biotensegrity is at play here. The human body walks around like a half deflated soccer ball all day with a trampoline covering( fascia). When called upon the fascia becomes that trampoline covering or the soccer ball becomes fully inflated. I think I just proved that without doing an experiment. Same when we hit. This is why baseball players lift weights everyday. They intuitively know it helps no matter what any lab coat says. Sure glad Chris Columbus didn’t listen to the lab coats also. Some of these are not my original thoughts. It’s just what’s on my bookshelf.

have a good day DFP.

May 12, 2016
In the no hands HR pasted in thread... if the hitter was 7 ft tall with a much longer arm span allowing him to have both hands on the bat at contact and body in good position to support. And with all other variables(bat speed. Bat weight, ball/bat density etc etc) the same... would that ball travel further?

Jun 26, 2020
Loose relaxed grips are what smart people do when they grip the bat. That's why you use tar. It gives a little better connection to keep the bat from slipping out of your hands or rolling. Bats fly regularly at the major league level. How else would the bat come out of Frazier's hand??? He's a pro

What's going on in this thread is the Dunnng Kruger effect. It's rampant in coaching and witnessed here.

May 12, 2016
Loose relaxed grips are what smart people do when they grip the bat. That's why you use tar. It gives a little better connection to keep the bat from slipping out of your hands or rolling. Bats fly regularly at the major league level. How else would the bat come out of Frazier's hand??? He's a pro

What's going on in this thread is the Dunnng Kruger effect. It's rampant in coaching and witnessed here.

Bat comes flying out of Frazier’s hand here because he’s fooled on that pitch, he’s way out front and he’s just trying to get barrel on ball. Most cases where a hitter loses the bat is because they are fooled on a pitch... generally something off speed.

For the record I believe in a relaxed grip but not because what happens at contact. I believe a relaxed grip allows the handle to pivot properly and freely in the hands leading to greater bat speed... effortless

Jun 26, 2020
Bat comes flying out of Frazier’s hand here because he’s fooled on that pitch, he’s way out front and he’s just trying to get barrel on ball. Most cases where a hitter loses the bat is because they are fooled on a pitch... generally something off speed.

For the record I believe in a relaxed grip but not because what happens at contact. I believe a relaxed grip allows the handle to pivot properly and freely in the hands leading to greater bat speed... effortless
You're constantly fooled by pitchers at the major league level. That's why they're there. You can guess pitches all you want, but they're still guesses

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I think it might be helpful for some of you to look at it backwards. It taxes X amount of force to propel the ball traveling at some velocity, X distance. If two people are able to accelerate the same bat to an equal speed when it contacts the ball, the reaction will be the same. The component that's making the ball go zoom in the other direction, that's added by the player, has already happened once contact takes place. If you could somehow make an 80 lb kid weight 180 lbs right at contact, it wouldn't magically make the ball go farther than it did when she was 80 lbs, if the bat speed was the same.

May 12, 2016
You're constantly fooled by pitchers at the major league level. That's why they're there. You can guess pitches all you want, but they're still guesses
So... what’s your point? Sometimes you are more fooled than others. Frazier loses the bat because he’s way out front and reaching.. that’s when most hitters loose their bat.. when they are fooled by an offspeed pitch and way out front, reaching with their hands to get barrel on ball

Jun 26, 2020
So... what’s your point? Sometimes you are more fooled than others. Frazier loses the bat because he’s way out front and reaching.. that’s when most hitters loose their bat.. when they are fooled by an offspeed pitch and way out front, reaching with their hands to get barrel on ball
You're speculating. If he had a gorilla grip the bat would've stayed put. Also why doesn't that happen other times when he's fooled

He's not a tar user and I'll bet he's hanging a couple of fingers off the knob

May 12, 2016
Lots of good arguments here. I do know for a fact in hockey when comparing a 80 lb kid to a 180 lb man who both generate the same amount of power (stick speed I guess you could say :)) when slapping the puck ... the result would be a harder faster velocity shot for the heavier person. Again variables are all the same, same stick(weight and length), puck weigh etc etc. The reason why this happens is because Ideally the blade of the stick on a slap shot is driven into the ice a couple inches Behind the puck leading to a greater flex in the handle which transfers more energy to the puck resulting in a faster/harder shot.

I know different sport and different variables in place... we have some scientific studies that debunk grip strength... but is there any magic at contact ... IDK recoil, flex etc that would give the bigger stronger hitter an advantage over a smaller weaker hitter who can generate the same bat speed?

I may be a little biased here because I believe after watching so much ball all my life it seems that a bigger hitter with that long smooth swing hits the ball farther than a smaller hitter with faster bat speed... Could leverage come into play here?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA