Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Curious what everyone thinks of these two swings. These are the first clips I have of Lewis for the Mariners. First one was middle/in pulled for a HR and the second was outside hit over the RC gap fence.

Do you like how he makes contact out front? Is this what throwing the barrel looks like?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Curious what everyone thinks of these two swings. These are the first clips I have of Lewis for the Mariners. First one was middle/in pulled for a HR and the second was outside hit over the RC gap fence.

Do you like how he makes contact out front? Is this what throwing the barrel looks like?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Nice gifs. First swing was a heater up so he gets to Toe-touch and had to launch immediately.

Second swing was an off speed that he makes a lateral adjustment so he could delay launch. Notice his body re-position after foot down. That’s when the adjustment was made.

That’s text book imo. Move out fastball and adjust to off speed ‘out front’. (With the body)

To answer your question, I don’t thinking backing the ball up is good. Just a band-aid for other flaws that exist within a players sequence.

May 4, 2020
It's the same swing he's just late on the second example
He’s not late on the lower swing. Good timing on that swing. The 1st swing he is out in front slightly.
Nothing wrong with either swing. Go with the pitch. Anything outside let it travel and go opposite field. Anything down the middle left center to right center is perfect. Anything inside turn on it early and send it into next state.

Aug 20, 2017
Small posture adjustments between the two swings. Also, bat path and extension are adjusted. Good gifs

Jun 26, 2020
He’s not late on the lower swing. Good timing on that swing. The 1st swing he is out in front slightly.
Nothing wrong with either swing. Go with the pitch. Anything outside let it travel and go opposite field. Anything down the middle left center to right center is perfect. Anything inside turn on it early and send it into next state.
You ever hit a major league pitch? Better yet had a major league level at bat?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Nice gifs. First swing was a heater up so he gets to Toe-touch and had to launch immediately.

Second swing was an off speed that he makes a lateral adjustment so he could delay launch. Notice his body re-position after foot down. That’s when the adjustment was made.

That’s text book imo. Move out fastball and adjust to off speed ‘out front’. (With the body)

To answer your question, I don’t thinking backing the ball up is good. Just a band-aid for other flaws that exist within a players sequence.

So you like the hand path and making contact out front? Which Lewis is showing in and out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812