Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
You're speculating. If he had a gorilla grip the bat would've stayed put. Also why doesn't that happen other times when he's fooled

He's not a tar user and I'll bet he's hanging a couple of fingers off the knob
I’m not speculating.. like you said it happens sometimes in the game and when I’ve seen it happen the most is when the hitter fooled and way outfront. Not sure why you would argue with that? I’ve already said I believe in a nice relaxed grip. If Frazier is gripping that bat too tight he never hits that all period.

You are saying smart hitters have a relaxed grip and I agree I believe relaxed is the way to go.. reversing your logic in you we should see bats flying constantly if you believe it’s “just” because of loose grip and not when the hitter is forced to rely on their hands .. trying to get bat in ball

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
... it seems that a bigger hitter with that long smooth swing hits the ball farther than a smaller hitter with faster bat speed... Could leverage come into play here?

Some of this is just our eyes playing tricks on us. A longer, more smooth swing doesn't mean that the bat isn't traveling at the same speed at contact. Whether a car takes 3.2 seconds or 6 seconds to get to 60 mph, if it hits the wall at 60 mph, the collision will be the same. Our eyes just tell us that one must be going faster (it's also sometimes a factor of our eyes fooling us- people used to mention Olivia's "quick hands" to me all the time, and for a long time they absolutely were NOT. Sometimes the smaller frame of reference fools us).

I don't know for SURE but I assume part of the difference in hockey is partly due to increased friction/resistance between the player's skates and the ice, and possibly the length of the stick (I can't imagine Theoron Fleury could use the same length stick that Chris Pronger could use, whereas bats don't have the same constaints).

*I'm not a professional nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
In hockey what you are saying is 100% true. The stick comes in contact with the ice first. It flexes and loads up before it hits the puck. Also the contact time is significantly longer with a blade.

Jun 8, 2016
Going to try this one more time. When the ball hits the bat there are two types of waves created. Ones that travel radially (the hoop modes I showed e.g. the ones that causing the trampoline effect) and waves which travel along the bat like this:

LPB5wdt.gif

In the bat analogy the hands are the location (the "boundary"_ where the wave splits in the above gif. In order for details of the boundary (grip strength and the mass on the other side of the hands e.g. the human holding it) to make any difference that wave that reverses direction has to reach the ball/bat contact position before the ball leaves the bat. However the waves (there are multiple) that travel along the length of the bat which have significant magnitude, (e.g. enough to provide enough energy back to the ball to have any effect) do not have high enough wave speeds (unlike the radial moving ones) to reach the ball/bat contact position before the ball leaves the bat.

May 12, 2016
Going to try this one more time. When the ball hits the bat there are two types of waves created. Ones that travel radially (the hoop modes I showed e.g. the ones that causing the trampoline effect) and waves which travel along the bat like this:

LPB5wdt.gif

In the bat analogy the hands are the location (the "boundary"_ where the wave splits in the above gif. In order for details of the boundary (grip strength and the mass on the other side of the hands e.g. the human holding it) to make any difference that wave that reverses direction has to reach the ball/bat contact position before the ball leaves the bat. However the waves (there are multiple) that travel along the length of the bat which have significant magnitude, (e.g. enough to provide enough energy back to the ball to have any effect) do not have high enough wave speeds (unlike the radial moving ones) to reach the ball/bat contact position before the ball leaves the bat.
I read that somewhere as well.. it was noted the closer to the handle a ball is it then there could be some insignificant effect.. but who cares, nobody's measuring distance when ball is it off the hands anyway :)

Jun 8, 2016
I read that somewhere as well.. it was noted the closer to the handle a ball is it then there could be some insignificant effect.. but who cares, nobody's measuring distance when ball is it off the hands anyway :)
Right those waves could reach the ball/bat contact position before the ball leaves the bat if that is close enough to the boundary (e.g. hands)..

Jun 8, 2016
The behavior of the reflected waves will depend on grip, mass of person hold the bat etc but it won't make a difference if those waves do not reach the ball/bat contact position before the ball leaves the bat.

That is all I have 🤷‍♂️

May 12, 2016
Some of this is just our eyes playing tricks on us. A longer, more smooth swing doesn't mean that the bat isn't traveling at the same speed at contact. Whether a car takes 3.2 seconds or 6 seconds to get to 60 mph, if it hits the wall at 60 mph, the collision will be the same. Our eyes just tell us that one must be going faster (it's also sometimes a factor of our eyes fooling us- people used to mention Olivia's "quick hands" to me all the time, and for a long time they absolutely were NOT. Sometimes the smaller frame of reference fools us).

I don't know for SURE but I assume part of the difference in hockey is partly due to increased friction/resistance between the player's skates and the ice, and possibly the length of the stick (I can't imagine Theoron Fleury could use the same length stick that Chris Pronger could use, whereas bats don't have the same constaints).

*I'm not a professional nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Hockey is because of weight of the player flexing the stick .. like I said all variables being the same, same stick, same puck, same ice.. the weight of the player causes the stick to flex more.. like thecat said, it loads the stick more which is released into the puck

1596214066284.png

May 12, 2016
Could be..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812