Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
So you like the hand path and making contact out front? Which Lewis is showing in and out.
I think the camera angle, being a little from behind is deceiving. Look at the lines and the front of home-plate. About 40° I would guess. I think it wasn't directly across from the belly button, a little forward. But he squared the second one up better than the 1st one. More on the sweet-spot so it wasn't outside me thinks!

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
See the Lateral ‘tilt’ adjustment? Guys are constantly ‘retarding ‘ timing with ‘inside out’ or ‘oppo’ approaches so they can be adjustable. They don’t care which field the ball goes if they know they had to ‘adjust’ timing. This isn’t golf. The whole point is to delay as long as possible to get as much info as they can and make their best decision. They know a pull mentality is early committal and short through the zone. Same goes for swing ‘up’.

View attachment 18582

We need an interpreter! "Lateral tilt adjustment? He also tilts his hips to clear a slot for his back elbow in that swing as if it was supposed to be inside off the plate or perhaps a breaking pitch that stayed fat. The pitch is knee high. Every pitch in the strike-zone requires some "lateral tilt". The lower and more inside, the greater the required tilt. It has nothing to do with pitch speed. Being fooled does, and requires a lot of adjustment. As far as not caring what field they hit to? Then why isn't a dead pull hitter like Jason Heyward a .500 hitter. He isn't because he cares only about pulling the ball and hooking outside pitches to RF. Have you ever heard of the term, "rolling over on an outside pitch?" It isn't about just the grip and an early wrist roll, it is also the bat rising out of the hitting zone when contact is made too far out in front.

Delaying the decision as long as possible it good. I understand that. Hitting an outside pitch correctly means a shorter swing than an inside pitch, because the bat-barrel travel is less. The more out in front, the more the barrel must travel. Anyway those were the three issues that bugged me.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
So you love technology :)

A lot of us don't have 1x1 access with Trout, Pujois, Jeter etc.. so the internet is helpful. It's been very helpful for a lot of members on this site as well. And just because you have not heard or don't understand a term.. doesn't mean it's some silly made up internet term.

Not sure if he was literal about the "lateral tilt", because I say shoulder tilt. That is a great video! We have big fights over here about the issue of shoulder tilt and getting the bat head early in the hitting zone. They also confuse it with "upper-cut". Everyone taught the bad upper body twist Antonelli talked about. I wish there was a list of required videos for anyone joining, and that one was on the list.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We need an interpreter! "Lateral tilt adjustment? He also tilts his hips to clear a slot for his back elbow in that swing as if it was supposed to be inside off the plate or perhaps a breaking pitch that stayed fat. The pitch is knee high. Every pitch in the strike-zone requires some "lateral tilt". The lower and more inside, the greater the required tilt. It has nothing to do with pitch speed. Being fooled does, and requires a lot of adjustment. As far as not caring what field they hit to? Then why isn't a dead pull hitter like Jason Heyward a .500 hitter. He isn't because he cares only about pulling the ball and hooking outside pitches to RF. Have you ever heard of the term, "rolling over on an outside pitch?" It isn't about just the grip and an early wrist roll, it is also the bat rising out of the hitting zone when contact is made too far out in front.

Delaying the decision as long as possible it good. I understand that. Hitting an outside pitch correctly means a shorter swing than an inside pitch, because the bat-barrel travel is less. The more out in front, the more the barrel must travel. Anyway those were the three issues that bugged me.

LT is just side bend. Yes, Every low pitch requires some. it’s an adjustment from their original posture they had at stride/foot down. Some guys will add knee bend also or more so. Ted was an advocate of that. Guys don’t start like that. Most start higher and adjust.

Think your ‘fooled’ comment is subjective. I think ‘adjustment’ is a better description. Time to contact varies when the same pitches are tunneled. Up and in is quicker than low and away bc of length/radius of swing required to square the ball. But bc Trout extends his arms at the end of the swing says to me the speed of the pitch is lesser so he had to go get it more out front.He was on time to the fastball and made an adjustment. The entire swing after foot down was an adjustment.

All of this is said w a grain of salt. Other guys adjust other ways. With their stride, arms, legs, torso, separation,hips, hands, feet. But for this particular swing , I think he used his posture and arms to make the adjustment.

When making a swing adjustment, I think guys are just happy if they hit it hard somewhere. They aren’t too picky.

I see the swing as longer on the outside and shorter on the inside. The front arm is usually more naturally bent which causes a shorter radius of swing on the inside where as the outside usually has a straighter front arm causing the swing to be longer in space and time and enables deeper contact. It’s an adjustment. Not to mention barrel release is shorter for an inside pitch as opposed to an outside pitch.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
LT is just side bend. Yes, Every low pitch requires some. it’s an adjustment from their original posture they had at stride/foot down. Some guys will add knee bend also or more so. Ted was an advocate of that. Guys don’t start like that. Most start higher and adjust.

Think your ‘fooled’ comment is subjective. I think ‘adjustment’ is a better description. Time to contact varies when the same pitches are tunneled. Up and in is quicker than low and away bc of length/radius of swing required to square the ball. But bc Trout extends his arms at the end of the swing says to me the speed of the pitch is lesser so he had to go get it more out front.He was on time to the fastball and made an adjustment. The entire swing after foot down was an adjustment.

All of this is said w a grain of salt. Other guys adjust other ways. With their stride, arms, legs, torso, separation,hips, hands, feet. But for this particular swing , I think he used his posture and arms to make the adjustment.

When making a swing adjustment, I think guys are just happy if they hit it hard somewhere. They aren’t too picky.

I see the swing as longer on the outside and shorter on the inside. The front arm is usually more naturally bent which causes a shorter radius of swing on the inside where as the outside usually has a straighter front arm causing the swing to be longer in space and time and enables deeper contact. It’s an adjustment. Not to mention barrel release is shorter for an inside pitch as opposed to an outside pitch.

There is no debate about LT as you say or Shoulder tilt. You can't hit any pitch in the strike-zone without some tilt. There is always an adjustment; it is just a matter of how much. So you do not believe any hitter, or MLB hitter in particular is "fooled" by a pitch? Do you believe in a calculated adjustment in the last 18 feet of fastpitch? Maybe it is possible at 50mph, but a good setup is impossible over 65, perhaps 68mph if you are fooled by any of the 4 weapons of pitching; speed change, movement, in or out, up or down. The first 18-20 feet is about information. After that assessment, you better know what is coming, or the rest is desperate efforts. And some go surf fishing with the arms and bat, others lean until they are off balance. The rear foot will tell you that. All adjustments during the swing can make a hitter look bad, maybe falling on their butt.

All swings come to slot before the hands are released. Almost all swings come to slot when the core is facing RF. From there it is a matter of the bat-head travel. On an outside swing, the hands shoot in a straight line toward RF. There is no loopiness no elbow constraints, from the hip. If the back hip is 8" off the plate, how far does the bat-head travel from slot to contact the ball in front of the belly-button? It is about 25" to the black. Now take an inside pitch. Far enough in, and the hands have to cheat to get out in front enough, or inside the pitch. The bat-head can't lag and hit effectively, so how far must the bat-head travel?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There is no debate about LT as you say or Shoulder tilt. You can't hit any pitch in the strike-zone without some tilt. There is always an adjustment; it is just a matter of how much. So you do not believe any hitter, or MLB hitter in particular is "fooled" by a pitch? Do you believe in a calculated adjustment in the last 18 feet of fastpitch? Maybe it is possible at 50mph, but a good setup is impossible over 65, perhaps 68mph if you are fooled by any of the 4 weapons of pitching; speed change, movement, in or out, up or down. The first 18-20 feet is about information. After that assessment, you better know what is coming, or the rest is desperate efforts. And some go surf fishing with the arms and bat, others lean until they are off balance. The rear foot will tell you that. All adjustments during the swing can make a hitter look bad, maybe falling on their butt.

All swings come to slot before the hands are released. Almost all swings come to slot when the core is facing RF. From there it is a matter of the bat-head travel. On an outside swing, the hands shoot in a straight line toward RF. There is no loopiness no elbow constraints, from the hip. If the back hip is 8" off the plate, how far does the bat-head travel from slot to contact the ball in front of the belly-button? It is about 25" to the black. Now take an inside pitch. Far enough in, and the hands have to cheat to get out in front enough, or inside the pitch. The bat-head can't lag and hit effectively, so how far must the bat-head travel?

High pitches require little tilt w the shoulders. Also don’t I think about tilting the shoulders more like turning forward bend into side bend via the hand path.

The bat head is released earlier on the inside and later on the outside making the arms take it farther. More lag is produced on the outside pitch making it longer. We are talking about a player swinging the bat. Not how far til contact. On the inside pitch the bat is released earlier. On an outside pitch it’s released later. The ‘swing’ of the barrel is shorter on the inside.

Attachments

• 67BB0CB5-B482-4796-9FFB-66CAAD51BFEB.gif
    67BB0CB5-B482-4796-9FFB-66CAAD51BFEB.gif
    646.1 KB · Views: 5
  • E319BFE6-8937-4CC5-AD5A-2C272DDA6629.gif
    E319BFE6-8937-4CC5-AD5A-2C272DDA6629.gif
    666.1 KB · Views: 5
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
High pitches require little tilt w the shoulders. Also don’t I think about tilting the shoulders more like turning forward bend into side bend via the hand path.

The bat head is released earlier on the inside and later on the outside making the arms take it farther. More lag is produced on the outside pitch making it longer. We are talking about a player swinging the bat. Not how far til contact. On the inside pitch the bat is released earlier. On an outside pitch it’s released later. The ‘swing’ of the barrel is shorter on the inside.

Ah, that is what I said, you are just repeating me. Only an idiot with a lobotomy would think a higher pitch would take more tilt. So I am not sure why you are saying this. As far as travel, you swing the bat head, from slot. You come to slot no matter where the pitch is. Where the bat-head is at that time determines the swing length, not how early you release it, or whether the stars are lined up. Yes, on an outside pitch it is released later ideally, at least with good mechanics. But to take the barrel from the lag position at slot to the outside is far shorter than taking the barrel to an inside pitch. That is in fact WHY you have to cheat a little on inside pitches with heat. You have a longer time in lag, and the barrel moves from that slot lag position to out in front of the batter. One takes more time; because it is longer. Try to fight off an inside pitch compared to outside. I am done discussing anything with you. I am sorry but I think you just make stuff up to suit your belief system. Best wishes!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ah, that is what I said, you are just repeating me. Only an idiot with a lobotomy would think a higher pitch would take more tilt. So I am not sure why you are saying this. As far as travel, you swing the bat head, from slot. You come to slot no matter where the pitch is. Where the bat-head is at that time determines the swing length, not how early you release it, or whether the stars are lined up. Yes, on an outside pitch it is released later ideally, at least with good mechanics. But to take the barrel from the lag position at slot to the outside is far shorter than taking the barrel to an inside pitch. That is in fact WHY you have to cheat a little on inside pitches with heat. You have a longer time in lag, and the barrel moves from that slot lag position to out in front of the batter. One takes more time; because it is longer. Try to fight off an inside pitch compared to outside. I am done discussing anything with you. I am sorry but I think you just make stuff up to suit your belief system. Best wishes!

I’m saying that bc nothing is absolute in hitting and you speaking in finalities is getting tiresome.

Anybody who thinks they got it all figured out is an idiot. Or else your players would all hit HRs every time and bat 1.000

The barrel is released early on the inside pitch in a good swing. Maybe you don’t coach it that way? Maybe you teach to bring the arms all the way through and then release the barrel?Maybe that’s why you gotta cheat to the inside? Maybe why you can’t comprehend what I’m saying? Ever heard get the head out? Keep your hands close to your body? These are cues to hit the inside pitch.

Once the barrel gets below the hands it is released or launched. The barrel is swinging. Just bc the hands come forward more means nothing. Now if you’re using your hips/rotation to power the swing I can see why you think it’s longer. But it’s not.

Notice how Ortiz hands travel 7-8 inches before the barrel gets released? Compare to any outside pitch. It’s much shorter.

Attachments

• C97E95B7-F315-42E0-9CB3-5BC11334ED8E.gif
    C97E95B7-F315-42E0-9CB3-5BC11334ED8E.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00