Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
the wall example is the body bracing for impact. Brick would be a grown man and drywall would be a 13 yo or so. I am not saying it plays a role in ‘hitting the ball’. It’s more about the stability of the structure to help repel the ball away. Less vibrations if you will. But if you don’t think there is a bat-body connection, I guess we’re done here. 😒

I wish I had some data bc there’s a BIG kid on every 14u team and under that crushes w average bat speed and only the best athletes on the team can barely keep up distance wise if at all.
Do you not think that the BIG kid is swinging a heavier bat and that the weight of the bat has more to do with it?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Do you not think that the BIG kid is swinging a heavier bat and that the weight of the bat has more to do with it?

for me, the example I’m pulling from was a kid that was on my kids 14u team. She was 6’ 220 or so. Wasn’t very athletic. Kinda slow. Her bat wasnt any heavier than the girls she played with. But when she would connect compared to other kids, she would hit it at least 25-40 ft farther than the other kids with the same if not faster bats. There are other examples but nothing w ‘data’. Ugh.

Hence why I think there is something more. Don’t @ me Pattar.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
How about if we learn how to teach the kids "squaring up".

What does square up mean in fast pitch? Squaring up means hitting the center of the ball (pretty much) in the vertical and horizontal centers of the fat part of the bat.

May 12, 2016
Can't believe we haven't seen this go to clip that always surfaces wrt the question at hand...
No-Hands-HR.gif

... when talking about grips and rebound effects, HR btw.

EDIT: OK, see that Pattar got to it indirectly...
I’ll be the first to admit.. I don’t have a clue about the science behind what we are talking about. Logic to me says if a 7 foot man was swing the same bat with the same bat speed as this individual... and he didn’t have to let go of the bat because his arms are longer that ball would travel further due to the fact is body is in better position to support the movement . I apologize in advance and ask all physicist and engineering professionals to take it easy on me 🙂

Apr 11, 2015
for me, the example I’m pulling from was a kid that was on my kids 14u team. She was 6’ 220 or so. Wasn’t very athletic. Kinda slow. Her bat wasnt any heavier than the girls she played with. But when she would connect compared to other kids, she would hit it at least 25-40 ft farther than the other kids with the same if not faster bats. There are other examples but nothing w ‘data’. Ugh.
How about this Ww, no data either, just another way of looking at it....

Instead of just two different sized kids are holding the same sized bat thing, let's also add a simple bat swinging machine using another identical sized bat as the other two kids' bat, and that matches the swings speeds of both the big and the small kid...and all three swings contact the same stationary ball on a tee.

With just that information, with the same sized bat being swung at the same speed by three different swing "machines", which ball would you expect to be hit the hardest and/or furthest?

Now I understand that you've said you believe the bigger kid would hit it harder/farther than the smaller kid, but where would the swing machine come in? Would it hit it harder than both kids, less than both kids, or harder than the smaller kid but not as hard as the big kid?

What would you need to know about the swing machine to determine where it would hit in comparison to the other two human swing machines?

Feb 25, 2020
Pattar you're being trolled.......

Pots aren't being stirred.

Unfortunately WW is not "playing" dumb.

Pattar has really given enough to dispel any misconceptions.

All that matters in the bat/ball collision is the MOI(mass), velocity, and COR of the bat and the mass, velocity, and COR of the ball.

Assuming equal sweet spot contact.

Doesn't matter what you "feel" or think you observe. If you disagree provide some data, not a "Her batspeed doesnt look fast". (I won't hold my breath waiting for it)

(Edit: 625 not directed at you!)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
How about this Ww, no data either, just another way of looking at it....

Instead of just two different sized kids are holding the same sized bat thing, let's also add a simple bat swinging machine using another identical sized bat as the other two kids' bat, and that matches the swings speeds of both the big and the small kid...and all three swings contact the same stationary ball on a tee.

With just that information, with the same sized bat being swung at the same speed by three different swing "machines", which ball would you expect to be hit the hardest and/or furthest?

Now I understand that you've said you believe the bigger kid would hit it harder/farther than the smaller kid, but where would the swing machine come in? Would it hit it harder than both kids, less than both kids, or harder than the smaller kid but not as hard as the big kid?

What would you need to know about the swing machine to determine where it would hit in comparison to the other two human swing machines?

Like I said before with the brick wall, the machine would hit it farthest. It has the most mass I’m guessing in your example. Or is the most STABLE. It’s not black and white. It’s more complicated than that.

Feb 25, 2020
Like I said before with the brick wall, the machine would hit it farthest. It has the most mass I’m guessing in your example. Or is the most STABLE. It’s not black and white. It’s more complicated than that.

It is black and white and youre an idiot. Read what pattar posted you dummy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321