Hip/Shoulder Separation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Think of the initial stretch (load) as posterior stretch and the release (core stretch) as anterior stretch in the s-plane. Rotation is the result. If there is no anterior vertical stretch then the core isn’t optimized. The obliques work vertically and horizontally.

if two legs aren’t used the vertical force component isn’t used. Much less force is applied.

Most good swings the hips will drop a bit.

Yep, you end up bypassing the "down to"

J1c5pt0.png

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
It’s called holding the stretch while adjusting the swing. It’s called technique.

None of those guys are holding the stretch.. The stretch is dynamic (sagittal plane) while falling into the legs..

u3CMg15.gif

Rich on the other hand holds his stretch (frontal plane) against his riding the rear leg.

0Me68ct.gif

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2013
Neither 🙂

View attachment 20787

someone mentioned(CB I think), that ‘teaching load mechanics is a problem’, or something like that. I agree.

The issue with teaching 'load mechanics' is that most people don't understand what 'loading' in the swing is.

Proper loading is nothing more than the stretching that takes place after slack removal. It takes place around/against the rear hip socket, the lower rear back, the upper back and for some the rear scap. Knowing when the loading process takes place in the swing is also something many fail to not teach properly.

The attitude of 'loading should occur naturally, and if not, then find another sport', is a cop out. Loading should be understood and if it is not natural for a hitter, then knowledgeable instruction should be offered.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The issue with teaching 'load mechanics' is that most people don't understand what 'loading' in the swing is.

Proper loading is nothing more than the stretching that takes place after slack removal. It takes place around/against the rear hip socket, the lower rear back, the upper back and for some the rear scap. Knowing when the loading process takes place in the swing is also something many fail to not teach properly.

The attitude of 'loading should occur naturally, and if not, then find another sport', is a cop out. Loading should be understood and if it is not natural for a hitter, then knowledgeable instruction should be offered.

I agree w ‘loading should occur naturally’. So that would mean.. it’s shouldn’t be taught. What was meant by this is the body parts will load by themselves if in sequence and balance.

I believe the spine is the axis for rotation so the back leg/hip socket stuff doesn’t agree w my outlook. Folks get stuck or fly out of balance when trying to load body parts like the back hip/leg.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here’s a comp for whoever is interested in this stuff. Different locations. These are all from 15ft underhand, walking up, in mixed locations, as hard as I can to force dynamics, but also to make sure of no cheating or sitting on spots. Gotta adjust.

View attachment 20878

View attachment 20879

View attachment 20880

View attachment 20881

Without looking at the swings in frame by frame. It looks like she is shifting and then swinging. Gets into both legs before swinging. The lowerbody is late because she shift in then swings, there is a timing issue.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Without looking at the swings in frame by frame. It looks like she is shifting and then swinging. Gets into both legs before swinging. The lowerbody is late because she shift in then swings, there is a timing issue.

yes! You are correct! She shifts her weight, THEN swings. The lower body is actually very early (first) though. When the core lengthens(seen more w off speed and outside pitches) she is leveraging her legs against the obliques. Most do this very late(after foot down) if at all.
It makes all the difference. Her timing window widens substantially. There is an ability to adjust out front.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Yep just like 2 of the best players who have ever played !! Its called leverage apparently something you have never felt.

ZfgRFqF.gif

u3CMg15.gif

8a0mbNa.gif

IXkvIz1.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez