Hip/Shoulder Separation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I guess to get a uncompensated ‘stretch reflex’, the fall into the legs has to happen. I don’t think there is a way around it. You could still be adjustable but some power will be left on the table for sure.

If I am understanding ?? One way around it is to keep the weight over the rear leg while moving forward.and bypass the reactive fall into the legs.

0Me68ct.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If I am understanding ?? One way around it is to keep the weight over the rear leg while moving forward.and bypass the reactive fall into the legs.

0Me68ct.gif

yeah. You could do this. But that’s a compensation. This pattern loses out front adjustability among other things. You CANNOT look inside and adjust out. Limitations. At the end of the day it’s one pitch at a time.

added: there is no (dare I say it) disassociation.

Nov 18, 2015
I was following this until we started talking about the fall into the legs. I can understand if the goal is to be weightless, or have that moment of no control. (Baseball Rebellion did a video about how the stride should be more of a "fall" - but I may be misinterpreting). But how does this gel with the need to stay balanced (Doug Latta, et al.) Is this different from the feeling of riding the rear leg, or forward yet back (FYB)? Would a no-stride swing (Pujols, Cabrera, Wright, Edmonds) be an example of bypassing the reactive fall?

WW - when you said "this pattern loses...adjustability" - were you referring to the original 'reactive fall' or the compensating 'weight over the rear leg'?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The staying back is releasing the up front action which allows the fyb (falling into both legs) to be a natural reaction. The core (obliques) are stretching against (resisting) the fall into both legs.. Think in terms of stretching head to toe within the s-plane ...

7iiZucv.gif

mvZpqjg.gif

9g62ozt.gif

zL3XQqs.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW - when you said "this pattern loses...adjustability" - were you referring to the original 'reactive fall' or the compensating 'weight over the rear leg'?
[/QUOTE]

Both. Staying back shrinks the zone N/S. Not leveraging 2 legs takes easy power and direction away.

Reactions: TDS
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The staying back is releasing the up front action which allows the fyb (falling into both legs) to be a natural reaction. The core (obliques) are stretching against (resisting) the fall into both legs.. Think in terms of stretching head to toe within the s-plane ...

7iiZucv.gif

mvZpqjg.gif

9g62ozt.gif

zL3XQqs.gif

It’s called holding the stretch while adjusting the swing. It’s called technique.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Think of the initial stretch (load) as posterior stretch and the release (core stretch) as anterior stretch in the s-plane. Rotation is the result. If there is no anterior vertical stretch then the core isn’t optimized. The obliques work vertically and horizontally.

if two legs aren’t used the vertical force component isn’t used. Much less force is applied.

Most good swings the hips will drop a bit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom