Hip/Shoulder Separation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2020
Is hip/shoulder separation created by (1) a shoulder move, or (2) a hip move, or (3) both? If a hip move is involved in creating hip/shoulder separation, is it the same hip move that is used at launch (= the moment the bat actually starts moving toward the ball)?

Aug 20, 2020
Neither 🙂

View attachment 20787

someone mentioned(CB I think), that ‘teaching load mechanics is a problem’, or something like that. I agree.

A problem in the sense that it shouldn't be taught at all, or a problem in the sense that it's difficult to teach?

So you're saying neither the shoulders nor the hips are responsible for creating hip/shoulder separation? In the clip you posted, I see some hip/shoulder separation. Do you? If so, what body parts/muscles/etc. were responsible for creating that separation?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
A problem in the sense that it shouldn't be taught at all, or a problem in the sense that it's difficult to teach?

So you're saying neither the shoulders nor the hips are responsible for creating hip/shoulder separation? In the clip you posted, I see some hip/shoulder separation. Do you? If so, what body parts/muscles/etc. were responsible for creating that separation?

a problem that it should be natural thing that happens through resistance and sequence.

yes Hank has some h/s separation. I think it’s created through resistance of the lower and upper or just simply maintaining angles better or longer which is found through balancing the actions of the sequence well so the hitter doesn’t compensate through the legs or arms.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Mankin suggested the hip/shoulder separation was because the lowerbody has to overcome the resistance of the upperbody/bat.

Aug 20, 2020
Mankin suggested the hip/shoulder separation was because the lowerbody has to overcome the resistance of the upperbody/bat.

Which I would assume means that he believes (i) the hips are, at least in part, responsible for creating hip/shoulder separation, and (ii) the hip move involved in creating the separation is the same hip move that is used at launch.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Which I would assume means that he believes (i) the hips are, at least in part, responsible for creating hip/shoulder separation, and (ii) the hip move involved in creating the separation is the same hip move that is used at launch.

Gotcha, Didn’t read is correctly the first time.🤪

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If your looking for the source or why h/s separation happens.. ultimately it’s bc the upper body stays closed long enough for the slack to be pulled out from an advancing lower half. Opposite directions.

The problem mostly isn’t that hitters can’t stay dynamic long enough for that to happen.. it’s actually that they can’t get dynamic early enough. Hence the out front revolution.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Sorry about the orientation but what are your thoughts in regards to the comments in the below video..... His comments are based off of data generated from K-Vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22